bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Fire Polish schedule

Fire Polish schedule

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Fire Polish schedule

Postby jackihcohen » Sat May 26, 2018 7:22 am

I searched but could not find a fire polish schedule. I have a 12" x 12" tack fused piece that needs a fire polish schedule. What schedule should I use? TIA
jackihcohen

Re: Fire Polish schedule

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 am

If your piece is tack-fired, you will need to select a fire polish schedule very carefully. Have you tried using the same schedule that you used to tack-fire your piece? I would be careful not to go any higher in your process temperature, because you will lose a little of the relief (depth and detail) of your current firing each time you fire, due to accumulated heat history.

You might try using your tack-firing schedule at a lower process temperature, for instance 10 degrees F lower and see if that works.

Be sure to use a VERY conservative annealing cycle, because your piece has been tack-fired. This video might be helpful: https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/fusing-basics/

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby tommckay » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Bob Leatherbarrow wrote the 'bible' on firing schedules. Its online because I downloaded it some time ago but he has a web site I think www.leatherbarrowglass.com. google his name if I'm wrong.
There is nothing about firing schedules that's missing from his book. The bonus is he quotes Bullseye glass in the schedules. Worth every penny altho its not expensive.
tommckay

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:31 pm

I agree with Tom--Bob Leatherbarrow has written an excellent book on firing schedules.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby tommckay » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I meant to include tis suggestion with original post - forgot!
A suggested schedule would be:
300 degrees per hour to 1000 and hold for 20 minutes
As fast as possible ramp up to 1300 and hold for 5 minutes
As fast as possible ramp down to 900 degrees and hold for 75 minutes
Then down to 300 degrees per hour to 100 and turn the kiln off.
I tend to cold work the edges leaving them less round because they do round a little at this process temp. After all 1300 is tack fuse process temp. I have a 19" Paragon with top lid firing so it works for me but if you have a different kiln.......
tommckay

Return to Technique