bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Help to resurrect a thermal shocked piece

Help to resurrect a thermal shocked piece

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Help to resurrect a thermal shocked piece

Postby yeruchem » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:00 pm

I made this 8X12 rectangular piece, pictured below, with three opaque colors on bottom layer and 2 transparent colors plus clear on the top. Intention was to slump it into a plate. I don’t know why, but I love this color combination.
As you can see, unfortunately the glass thermal shocked and opposite ends cracked off. I think I know the reason for this (don’t ask!) However, it leaves me now with this unusable (at the present moment) plate and I would love to figure out a way to be able to do so, so I am turning to this forum for advice and suggestions. I am fairly new at glass fusion.
I imagine that I can cut the plate and finally decided how I would want to do that while retaining most of the character of the design. I have marked black lines on the picture at those places.
Now, I would like to ask firstly if cutting would be possible and secondly how to best go about it.
Can I just score the glass and will it break at the score (it is now 6 mm thick) or does it need to be cut with a saw instead? Is there some other method I don't know about?
Should I then cold work the edges? Or will fire polishing occur as I am slumping to avoid the cold working?
Looking forward to the ever-wise and experienced words of this group's members.
Thanks.
Fraida Cohen
yeruchem

Re: Help to resurrect a thermal shocked piece

Postby yeruchem » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:09 pm

See picture below
Last edited by yeruchem on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeruchem

Postby yeruchem » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Butterscotch Pimento plate (3).jpg
Butterscotch Pimento plate (3).jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
yeruchem

Postby yeruchem » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:54 pm

IMG_1605.jpg
IMG_1605.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
Just wanted to share with the forum what I did to solve this issue. As a person new to glass, I was at a loss, but I did a lot of research online and came up with a solution that worked!

I purchased a Toyo tap wheel thick glass cutter and a Leponitt heavy duty running pliers and (holding my breath) I cut the glass down to a smaller size (where I had drawn the lines on the original picture). It worked! Of course, I have to so some coldworking on the edges now, but I have my plate, albeit in a smaller version!

Again, being a newbie, I would love to hear any suggestions on how to use the cut off pieces.

Best,
Fraida
yeruchem

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Good for you! Thanks for posting your beautiful results!

As far as using scraps, I am happy to recommend these e-books by Paul Tarlow. The series of three books titled "Waste Not" might give you some good ideas for using your scraps. http://fusedglassbooks.com/

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique