bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Quick Tip: Opaline Overlays

Quick Tip: Opaline Overlays

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Quick Tip: Opaline Overlays

Postby Lisawood » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:18 am

Opaline sheet glass. Amazing on its own—also a great tool to expand your color palette in kilnforming, creating new colors with distinct properties. As an overlay, expect subtle changes when fired over light value styles and more dramatic effects over dark values.

We have released this new Quick Tip, available on our website, here: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... cleid=1119
Lisawood

Re: Quick Tip: Opaline Overlays

Postby myvalley » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 am

Could you please let me know if the color in transmitted light is much different than if it was capped with clear?

It is very difficult to see on the computer screen.

I make a lot of drop vases and bowls with transparent color, therefore wondering if using opaline as a replacement of one of the Tekta layers would enhance my color palette.

Thank you
myvalley

Re: Quick Tip: Opaline Overlays

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 am

In transmitted light the effect of the opaline is reduced, and the glass color will appear closer to its natural color. In reflected light, sections that are capped with opaline will show a big color change, particularly colors with dark or medium values.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique