bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Medium or Fine Diamond Blade for Wet Saw

Medium or Fine Diamond Blade for Wet Saw

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Medium or Fine Diamond Blade for Wet Saw

Postby rootsandwings » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:44 am

Hi

I recently purchased a 10" wet tile saw and I am trying to figure out what saw blade to buy. My resources are limited so I am trying to buy one saw blade. The vast majority of the work will be cutting through 3/4 to 1 inch slabs, either to trim off panel edges or cut into segments/parts. I want to minimize chipping but need something that can go through that thickness without me having to buy a new blade every six months. I have looked at HIS and what I *think* I am deciding between are the Husquarna 10" Superlok Fine or the MK303 Medium. I am not a production artist - I live in the Canadian boonies and my studio gets 6 feet of snow surrounding it so I only work on glass for half the year so I am maybe talking about 100 cuts a year, max.

And in the realm of wet tile saw questions - any recommendations about setting up a water system when I don't have access to directly hooking up to a tap/pipe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kim
rootsandwings

Re: Medium or Fine Diamond Blade for Wet Saw

Postby martykremer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 am

Don't just look at HIS, talk to them. I like the Result blades and they last for-almost-ever.
How about a 5 gallon pail with a fish tank or small sump or fountain pump for water?
martykremer

Re: Medium or Fine Diamond Blade for Wet Saw

Postby michaelcmace » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi, Kim.

I haven't used those two particular blades, so I can't comment on them directly. I have a 10" saw and have been very happy with the Ukam .04" lapidary blade I got for it. Most of my cuts are in 3/4" thick pattern bars that are about nine inches long. I've been able to get very consistent 9mm thick slices from the bars, and with some care I can get down to about 6mm. There's some minor chipping, but not a lot as long as you keep the blade wet.

I've probably done about 50 slices so far with the blade and it shows no signs of wear that I can detect. I hear that resin blades can wear quickly (I don't know how quickly), but if you're using a metal one I think you should expect a lot more than 100 cuts.

For water I use a 5-gallon bucket that I refill by hand. You just drop the pump in the bucket. I can do about one pattern bar per bucket. I like this approach better than recirculating the water from the drip tray, because there are a lot of stories online about pumps wearing out or clogging.

Hope that helps.

Mike
michaelcmace

Return to Technique