bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Fusing in the wrong order! and preventing bubbles!!

Fusing in the wrong order! and preventing bubbles!!

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Fusing in the wrong order! and preventing bubbles!!

Postby michellestack21 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 am

Hopefully you can advise me. I have created a gift that I am hoping not to mess up! I am fairly new to fusing but I do realise that the usual way to create a project is full fuse, tac fuse, slump. Well I have tac fused and now I am wondering if I can full fuse and yet be bubble free!
I created a black powder sketch 000100 0008 on top of a 6inx6in white tile 000113 0030 by tac fusng only. Then I decided I wanted it thicker. I thought adding a tekta layer on top would trap air and so I put it underneath. But again I was worried about the bubbles so I tac fused to the bottom.
Niall & Catherine.jpg

Now I feel I should have been brave enough to go with a full fuse. Is it too late!? Have I increased the chances of bubbles!!
My kiln is Skutt Firebox 14. I used the pre-programmed medium tac fuse for the powder stage. Then I used the pre-programmed slow tac fuse to add the base.
I was thinking of using the bubble squeeze schedule but I have used this before and there was still one large bubble (maybe .5cm x 1.5cm) on a similar style project. I really don't want to start again!
michellestack21

Re: Fusing in the wrong order! and preventing bubbles!!

Postby michellestack21 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 am

Here is a photo of the top layer and I will try to add another of the conjoined glass on edge.
Niall & Catherine.jpg
Top Layer 3mm
Niall & Catherine.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
michellestack21

Postby michellestack21 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:39 am

And here is a photo of the tac fused pieces on edge.
Edge.jpg
Edge
Edge.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
michellestack21

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I think you can fuse it again to a full fuse. What cycle is your programmed firing cycle for a full fuse?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique