bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Vitrigraph

Vitrigraph

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Vitrigraph

Postby mksanders2020 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm

I set up my Caldera kiln with a Bullseye crucible filled with thin Reactive Cloud Opal scraps. I programmed the kiln for 300 degrees per hour to 1650 degrees with a 2-hour hold. Just as the glass was starting to drop, ever so slowly, before it got to 1650, I got an error message FTL (fired too long). Could someone please explain? I made the mistake of pulling the fiber plug out long before the glass started to flow. Was that the critical error?
mksanders2020

Re: Vitrigraph

Postby jestersbaubles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:23 pm

FTL is typically "fired too long". In my experience, this is because the kiln struggles with trying to maintain the top temperature you have programmed, and it eventually errors out.

I get this error if I try to do a screen melt in my Fusion 14, which is a 14" brick kiln on 120V. That is a lot of thermal mass to try to heat off 120V. You are looking at a similar situation with the Caldera, which, based on what I am seeing in the specs is 14x12 and 120 V.

Turn it on again and keep going :) (note: if you have any concerns about the kiln malfunctioning, consult a trained professional, which I am not :mrgreen: ). You may also be able to do a pull at 1600 deg F, where you might have a little better success with the kiln staying on.

Best, Dana
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Re: Vitrigraph

Postby mksanders2020 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks, Dana. I think I figured it out. Twice I've made the mistake of pulling the fiber plug out way too early. Both times I didn't put it back in for fear that the glass would seep out of the crucible and spread along the bottom of the pot. As a result, the glass bulb at the bottom cooled and blocked the flow. I assume this will get easier with practice.
mksanders2020

Return to Technique