bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Curve in panel after full fuse

Curve in panel after full fuse

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Curve in panel after full fuse

Postby k.russell.glass » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 am

I am noticing a curve in the panels I've been fusing. The panels are 20"x 20" and are 2 layers of sheet glass (6mm total thickness). The curve is even, its high point is 3mm in the center of the panel.
I don't see any real disadvantages to this except a slight concern that when I adhere the mounts on that the slight angle won't be parallel to the wall (Hang Your Glass round stand offs... I think there is enough wiggle room in hanging them for it not to be a problem)... but wondering why this is happening and if there could be other issues I'm not aware of?
My fusing schedule is:

300 1225 0:30
600 1490 0:15
AFAP 900 1:00
100 700 0
AFAP 70

And I'm firing the panels face down (opaque colour against the shelf, tekta on top).
k.russell.glass

Re: Curve in panel after full fuse

Postby k.russell.glass » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 am

And I should also note... my kiln is a clamshell style, elements on sides and top, and my shelf is a honeycomb shelf
k.russell.glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:05 am

Hi, k,
Thanks for your question. To give you feedback on your particular project, it would be helpful to have more information than you have provided.

There was another recent question about warped panels--have you seen it? Does anything in it seem like it could be the same issue that you are having? It's a pretty detail explanation including the materials that were used.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4823

I hope we can help you with this, and we hope that the other recent thread includes helpful info.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby k.russell.glass » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you Mary Kay, that is indeed a detailed post... excellent, I'll compare notes
k.russell.glass

Return to Technique