bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Firing both sides?

Firing both sides?

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Firing both sides?

Postby cwb-bdb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am

Your help please!
I need some advise on an idea I have had.
Example:
Side A: 3mm clear #1100 sheet glass used as a base.
Apply let us say six(6) layers of any powder of your choice. Then a roughly the same amount of clear #1101 powder as a cap.
Fire to full fuse.

The question I have is can you now apply powder to the other side of the aforementioned piece?
If so how much powder and to what firing schedule would you use. Also what affect would this have on side A?
Your help in this matter is deeply appreciated.
CWB
cwb-bdb

Re: Firing both sides?

Postby gg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 am

Hello, thanks for your email.
You can can fire the composition you described with the powder layers and would end up with a piece about 6 mm thick, maybe a bit thicker in the center, unless you place dams around the piece. You can clean and flip the piece to do the same thing on the other side, but will then loose the shiny aspect you had one side A, since it will now be against the shelf. The Firing schedule would be the same one for both firings. the Full fuse schedule we recommend for a piece about 6 mm can be found here: https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/fusing-basics/

I don't recommend using a thick layer of powder to cap anything you want to see, details, colors... I would recommend a large grain frit or sheet. The clear powder will cover the piece with a white cloudy looking layer due to the air bubbles in the powder. I hope this helps. Best,
Geraldine
gg

Re: Firing both sides?

Postby cwb-bdb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 am

Thank you so much!

In case you have not noticed I am fairly new to glass kiln work.
While I am not apposed to going ahead and trying something, with the vast knowledge available here I figured it was better to ask than waste time and money before I tried something on my own.

I will take your suggestions to heart and see what happens.

Again, thank you
CWB
cwb-bdb

Return to Technique