bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Storing sheet glass in below-freezing temperatures

Storing sheet glass in below-freezing temperatures

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Storing sheet glass in below-freezing temperatures

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 am

With winter coming, I thought I would post these questions (Q for Question) from a Bullseye user, with a reply (A for Answer) from a Bullseye Tech:

Q: A Bullseye user lives in Alaska and is concerned about storing one of her crates of Tekta outside the studio. The lowest temperature there would be about -20F degrees. Is it safe for the glass to be that cold? What considerations would she need to take to bring a frozen sheet from that crate indoors to be used? Obviously it’s not always that cold outside, and I would assume normal weather change would be ok and more gradual. What are your thoughts on this, i.e. freezing temperatures and thermal shock?

A: We don’t anticipate a problem with storing the glass outside or having it thermal shock upon being brought indoors. BUT when it is brought inside, it should be allowed to be inside until it has reached room temperature before she attempts to cut it. It is very difficult to cut cold glass. If she’s bringing in one sheet at a time, this will be a matter of a couple of hours. If she is bringing in many sheets and storing them one next to the other, it will take much longer for them to warm up.

Anyone else have experience to share about using frozen sheet glass?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Re: Storing sheet glass in below-freezing temperatures

Postby Giovanni » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Although Nebraska is a far cry from Alaska, the name "Nebraska" is Indian for "Lousy Weather".
I have been storing glass in an outdoor shed and we have had many days of -05 to -20 degrees. The biggest problem I have is the glass gets a fair amount of condensation on it when first brought in from the cold. The moisture makes it difficult to transfer patterns or see the finer details of the sheet. As long as I retrieve what I will be cutting the day before and give it the full day to warm up everything is OK. Separate the sheets to help the warm up
Giovanni

Return to Technique