bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Screenprinting masons stains with Glastac Gel as a medium

Screenprinting masons stains with Glastac Gel as a medium

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Screenprinting masons stains with Glastac Gel as a medium

Postby makaifh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Hey Guys! Brand new to the site!
I was at a glass and ceramic supply shop this evening and discovered glastac for the very first time! I am into enameling jewelry, and I have been experimenting with screen-printing mason stains onto enameled copper. I have been using Thompson's A-14 painting medium, but it is just a bit too thin for my liking, and when I saw the beautiful "slow-flow" of the glastac gel, I thought it might be the perfect medium to accomplish what I am after!

Here's my question: Has anyone attempted to mix the glastac with any form of ultra-fine frit, enamel powder, or mason stains to either print, stamp or paint it onto your surfaces? How cleanly does glastac burn off? Is there any residue?

While I realize that it may not be exactly what this forum is for, I tend to "Frankenstein" bits and pieces from different art forms, in hopes that I will stumble on some really cool/effective techniques, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Ryan
makaifh

Re: Screenprinting masons stains with Glastac Gel as a mediu

Postby gg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 am

Hi Ryan,
Although our process with the paints and glasstac is a bit different than what you're trying to use it for, I think the glasstac gel might work, as it burns off clean. It is just a tacky glue. People have used it mixed with our powder glass and squeeze out of fine tipped bottles and form designs. We have a technique for Powder Printing but it id done dry. Another idea could be in the Colorline screen printing product line we carry. The paints and pastes (thicker) can be mixed with Silk Screen Medium (#8572 sold on our site) which improves the consistency of the paste. I d try the glasstac gel 1st.... Good luck in your research and experimentation!
Geraldine
gg

Re: Screenprinting masons stains with Glastac Gel as a mediu

Postby makaifh » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:24 pm

gg@bullseyeglass.com wrote: Good luck in your research and experimentation!
Geraldine

Thank you so much, Geraldine! I will give it a go!!! :D
makaifh

Return to Technique