bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Birds' eyes

Birds' eyes

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Birds' eyes

Postby jennifer » Sat May 25, 2019 4:11 am

I'm trying to make some birds' eyes to use in a fused panel. I've had success in the past but I can't remember which white glass I used and now I can't seem to repeat this. I'd like the results to be between 1/8" to 1/4" in diameter. I cut ~1/4" squares of white 0013 and topped them with very small snips of black stringer. I fired them on Thinfire at 300 dph to 1490, held for 20 min, then went down afap to 900 and held for 30 min then down by 100 dph to 700 and off. They basically stayed square with very slightly rounded corners. Thinking that this was not hot enough I re-fired at 200 dph to 1495, held for 30 min then down afap to 900 for 30 min and down by 100 dph to 700. Once again they stayed square. I don't want to use 2 layers of the white positioned at right angles to each other because I think they'd become too large for my purpose. I've been able to make round nuggets with many other BE glass scraps by firing them in a single layer so I'm wondering if it's just this particular white. Can anyone give me some advice?
jennifer

Re: Birds' eyes

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 am

Can you crank the heat up to 1525°F, and hold for 10 minutes? That should get the job done!

Mary kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Re: Birds' eyes

Postby jennifer » Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks Mary Kay,
Yes, I can certainly try to fire to 1525. I haven't done that to date because I never had to go that hot in the past. But I'll do that in the next few days and report back.
jennifer

Return to Technique