bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Second full fuse on 9 mm strip construction not smooth

Second full fuse on 9 mm strip construction not smooth

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Second full fuse on 9 mm strip construction not smooth

Postby Mitchm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 am

Hi

Please help. I have done a 9 mm strip construction with transparent and opal glass. Approx 26cm square. I dammed the piece and because it has a centre piece with screen printing( sintered and capped) I used a low temp to full fuse the square. The problem is that it is mostly smooth on top but not completely. I need to re fire the piece also because it has slight divit on the orange opal steaky. My question is, do I need to go slow through the bubble squeeze again or could I ramp up a bit faster? My schedule was
149C-538C h 30m
38C- 680C h 80m
316C- 792C- h 40m
Full- 482 h 90m
38 C- 426c h30m

The inside of my kiln is approx 42cm
Can I go faster up in the second ramp seeing that I have no bubbles?
Marlene
Mitchm

Re: Second full fuse on 9 mm strip construction not smooth

Postby jestersbaubles » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 pm

There is no need for a bubble squeeze this time around, but you do need to be concerned about the thickness of the glass, and potential uneven thicknesses of the glass. Since you say it is "mostly smooth" you may not have to worry about uneven thickness, but you do need to worry about ramping too quickly and thermal shocking the glass before the glass passes its stress point (temperature).

I would slow down to a ramp rate of 200 deg f/ 93 deg C per hour. You can remove the 100 deg F/38 deg C per hour ramp segment (bubble squeeze).

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Re: Second full fuse on 9 mm strip construction not smooth

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, Dana!
Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.