bullseyeglass.com • View topic - casting/fusing with bullseye's opalescent rods

casting/fusing with bullseye's opalescent rods

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

casting/fusing with bullseye's opalescent rods

Postby michelle schouten » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:03 pm

the information in your tipsheets on rods is great. saves me heaps of time and money experimenting on what rods i can and can't cast with in the kiln. before i put 22 cylinders and casting boxes full of rods in the kiln to full fuse or cast into large cylinders and rectangular prisms(10"x2x2"), i want to make sure that by saying a particular rods is ok for kilnwork that includes full fusing-say 850 degrees for 8 hrs?
thanks from a nervous glass smasher-michelle
michelle schouten

Re: casting/fusing with bullseye's opalescent rods

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi Michelle,

Rods that are graded F (Bullseye Compatible for kilnforming) are expected to perform to similar standards as our F grade sheet glass. The FAQ page of our website has information on "what to expect from Bullseye sheet glass" and "What to expect from Bullseye rods", and you may want to read both these articles before proceeding. http://www.bullseyeglass.com/products/faq/#faq_018

Keeping your glass at 850 (degrees C) for 8 hours exceeds the testing that we do on the glass, so we would recommend that you perform a test before firing your whole piece. The glass may very well perform wonderfully when held at process temperature for an extended period, but it also might change.

What color styles are you planning to use?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby michelle schouten » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:21 pm

mary
thanks for the tip on the info about "what to expect from bullseye rods"
i did not know it existed so printed it for reference and will use it constantly in the next little while
to answer your question about colours used, the only one i can't use appears to be periwinkle opaque
it's also great to learn that only 7 colour styles are not fusible as i'm used to avoiding all opaques and opalescents when fusing with each other or with transparents
also, is there a way of accessing info in the lectures given at becon11? i'm not able to attend this year and was wondering if we could pay for talks(dvd, lecture notes, transcripts) given by presenters.
michelle schouten
armidale nsw
australia
michelle schouten

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi Michelle,

There are no plans at present to document BECon 2011 through transcripts, etc. We have thought about this wishfully in the past, but our limited resources have been committed elsewhere. BECon thus far has been more of a participatory event than a documented event. We would love to see you there, if not in 2011, perhaps in the future!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique