bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Cracks in Fused Glass Mounted on Wood

Cracks in Fused Glass Mounted on Wood

For topics that don’t fit in a category above.

Cracks in Fused Glass Mounted on Wood

Postby bettyscharfman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Would love some advice regarding an art piece I made for my son's office. It is a 16" X 16" fused glass piece that I mounted on a 14" X 14" piece of solid maple. The idea for going smaller on the wood was to create the feel of "floating" and cast a shadow on the wall. I stained all the maple surfaces except the side that was glued to the glass piece. I attached two D rings with screws to the maple piece. I glued the piece onto the wood using E600 and I used almost a whole tube and then waited for about 10 days before hanging. The piece was installed in early August. Today the piece cracked (see attachment and zoom in) making a load noise. I would like to learn from the this incident. I have made many wall pieces before, some much bigger than this one. Many of them were mounted on mdf, not real wood. I also used a french cleat on one long heavy piece that was mounted on a mirror. The only difference on this one was that I used wood and that the wood was 2 inches smaller on each side than the glass. Would love to get some input from artists that are perhaps more experienced than I am regarding large wall pieces.
Thanks,
Art Fan :)
bettyscharfman

Re: Cracks in Fused Glass Mounted on Wood

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 am

Do you want to send me your attachment via email? I can post it for you. Also, we want to see your fusing cycle.

Thanks!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Chat