bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Why Rolled Edges?

Why Rolled Edges?

For topics that don’t fit in a category above.

Why Rolled Edges?

Postby Peterjmccarthy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 am

I just watched the Working with Rolled Edges video lesson, and it brought up a question I have long had: why does Bullseye sell sheets with rolled edges rather than trimmed, square-edged sheets? To me, it would make more sense to sell something that doesn't have waste built into it. Then the price I pay is for the glass I actually use. And it seems more efficient (and "green") for Bullseye to trim and recycle the glass at the factory than to ship it around the world, and have the end users deal with it.

Plus, I love to pull out a sheet of Tekta and start working right away, rather than having to trim 2 edges of each piece.
Peterjmccarthy

Re: Why Rolled Edges?

Postby martykremer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm

A lot of us use that selvage edge.
martykremer

Postby emails » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 am

What makes the selvage edge better than rolled edges btw? I'm curious.
emails

Postby jestersbaubles » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:11 pm

I wish system 96 had more rolled edges :mrgreen: . The organic nature of them can be great in design.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby gg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Peter,
Each sheet of glass is ladled and rolled on a table then annealed on the lehr, at the end of which someone cuts by hand what we call the tip and tail. Cutting the 2 other sides of the sheets would add time, labor and cost. As someone mentioned, some of our customer also love to salvage and use these edges both with Kiln-formed and Stained glass projects. They have become a bit of a signature for our hand rolled glass.
Geraldine S
gg

Return to Chat