bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Studio owners/managers - kiln fees for casting and annealing

Studio owners/managers - kiln fees for casting and annealing

For topics that don’t fit in a category above.

Studio owners/managers - kiln fees for casting and annealing

Postby Pilisa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 am

Hi everyone!

I own and run a studio in Sedona, Arizona and I hold classes and open studio times monthly. I just had someone contact me about wanting to do large kiln cast pieces in my studio during open studio times. She wants to do fairly large pieces which would involve long annealing times, which would leave me without that kiln during those times. She also does flame-working and wants to use my torch and kilns for annealing pieces she makes during open studio.

I want to quote her a fair price for the use of the kilns, so I'd like to hear from other studio owners and managers who provide this service on how they price it. How much do you charge for kiln time and is it based on size of the piece or per hour, per day or some other method? Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Warm regards,
Pilisa
Pilisa

Re: Studio owners/managers - kiln fees for casting and annea

Postby martykremer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:33 pm

One way to start is to figure out how much work you will NOT be able to get done because your kilns are tied up. If you're producing $1000 a week and you can't get it out, then there's your charge (plus studio time and materials for set up, any time you spend helping, etc.). If your income is from classes and you have to postpone class because you don't have kilns available, ditto.
I charge an hourly rate for studio use that includes reasonable kiln time/space but at my discretion and convenience. I have very large kilns and I won't run them for a single small project without extra compensation. If someone wants to hire the kiln for a period of time then what I said above applies.
As far as open studio practices, you'll need to set parameters: $X per hour includes studio overhead and supervision, bench space (how much?), storage space for projects in the works, coldworking (what machines for how long and with whose belts, bits and pads?). How much space in the kiln for a reasonable firing. Torch time. And anything extra will need to be negotiated. Maybe you can trade for part of it?
It's not easy to figure it out and enforcing it will not be easy either. Boundaries will be pushed, friendships tested. Once you've decided what works for you, post the rules and stick to them.
martykremer

Re: Studio owners/managers - kiln fees for casting and annea

Postby Pilisa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Marty,

Thanks for making me think about the situation in a very different way. Our open studio times are at specific times each month, so I think it's a bit different than how you're handling your studio's open studio situations. I already do have open studio rules posted and most everyone has been good about them so far - almost 2 years and counting with only one friendship lost because she kept wanting to push boundaries.

This was a new use situation, so that's why I wanted some outside input. I think this is going to have to become a sit down discussion so I can get a better feel for how large she's planning to cast (and therefore how long the anneal cycle is going to be) and how often she plans to do that so I can work out a better price estimate.

Thanks again!
Pilisa
Pilisa

Return to Chat