bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Applying Clear Powder to Fused Glass

Applying Clear Powder to Fused Glass

For topics that don’t fit in a category above.

Applying Clear Powder to Fused Glass

Postby nanasnextdance » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 pm

I recently full fused a project, a platter 11-1/2 X 7-1/2". It came out great...but when I fused it on my kiln shelf directly (instead of using Thinfire) which was prepared with Bullseye kiln wash. Some of the wash stuck to the bottom of the project, mostly on the ends that I was not able to get off. In doing some research online, it was suggested to soak it in vinegar for a couple of hours. I was able to remove the kiln wash, but my project, which was done in black, soft white and deep red (opal) left the deep red section dull and with a rough finish. I thought that I'd try to do a fire polish with a coating of clear powder on top. However, after firing, it is shiny, but I can still see the particles in the coating - it is not smooth. I suspect that I may have put too much powder on (although in watching the video I thought it was fine), and perhaps did not go high enough in temperature or didn't hold long enough. My question is, can I now refire at a full fuse to have it come out smooth or a fire polish at a different schedule? Clearly, I am a "newbie" and this is a learning process for me :) My kiln is a Skutt GM-1014. Appreciate any input. The schedule I used to fire polish was:
400-1250-30
600-1350-10
9999-900-60
150-700-00

I hate to lose this piece, and still have to slump it. Thank you!
nanasnextdance

Re: Applying Clear Powder to Fused Glass

Postby jestersbaubles » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Unfortunately, I think the lesson you learned is never to soak glass in vinegar. Anecdotally, reds seems to be particularly problematic.

I read on-line all the time where people suggest a vinegar soak. I caution against it, and people respond that they've never had etching. But it does occur and when it does, it can be difficult to remedy. It probably would have been best to sandblast the surface to even it out before putting on the clear top layer. I'm not certain there is much that you can do, though sandblasting before the slump so that it has a matte surface may hide the imperfections in the final piece.

Best, Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Re: Applying Clear Powder to Fused Glass

Postby nanasnextdance » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:44 am

Thank you so much for your reply. Being a beginner, it's hard sometimes to learn from these mistakes. But I did learn from this one, and others and I'm sure many more ahead of me!

FYI, I thought I'd have nothing to lose by trying to refuse it again at a full fuse. It worked, it's shiny and smooth and I was able to save the piece! But I will never again use vinegar.
nanasnextdance

Return to Chat