bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Tabletops

Tabletops

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Tabletops

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Watch the Lesson at:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/lessons/tabletops-205.html

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Re: Tabletops

Postby jestersbaubles » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:44 pm

I just had an opportunity to watch this video. Thanks for another informative lesson. I always appreciate the detailed explanations that are provided to explain not only what you are doing, but why :mrgreen: . The "why" parts of the lessons are skill-builders that can be used across many other projects.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 am

Aww, thanks! That's our goal--we always want people who use our glass to learn "why" as well as "how" in doing projects, so that later, they can design original projects and execute these successfully.

We have many new topics planned for 2015. Now that we have covered many fundamental skills in kilnforming, we are looking forward to releasing lessons on attaching French cleats, gluing glass, and lost wax kilncasting, among others. We could not produce these lessons without the support of many people who use our glass and our video lesson subscribers. Thanks for your support.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Oh those will be wonderful subjects to cover. Look forward to the Attaching French C :D leats for sure!
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby jstahl956 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Planning on doing a tabletop this weekend and have one question.

The lesson calls for using 1.5mm (1/16") fiber paper and I only have 1/8" fiber paper. I am sure this will not be an issue but I want to ask the question.
jstahl956

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 am

It's fine. Take the thickness of the 1/8" fiber paper into account when determining the footprint dimensions of your finished slab, so that the fit to your table base is correct. Send us a photo when you finish this! We would love to see it.

Thanks for your post!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby jstahl956 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Kiln glass tabletop resize.jpg
Medium Amber w/opaline 17" square table 3/4" thick
Kiln glass tabletop resize.jpg (114.72 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Thanks for the answer.

Went with a medium amber billet for color. Kind of took on a butterscotch hue with some delicate opaline swirls toward the center. My choice was a Ruby Red Tint but my wife won out and this is what we have. It looks good. 17" x 17" x 3/4" thick.

The side shown is the bottom (fired) and will be the top as it has a little texture from fibre paper and is perfect for table.

Ran into a problem 2 hours into firing as the our kiln error coded out as "Kiln failing to heat this temperature". I changed the program on the fly to do 30F per hour instead of the 25F BE calls for and it went off without a hitch.

My next project is fabricating the concrete and steel table it's going into.

Thanks so much for your videos on your site. This has opened up a lot of different ideas for us.
jstahl956

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:38 am

Oh my gosh, I am thrilled to see your project! It looks great! What is the design for the table base? I haven't seen a concrete one yet.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby jstahl956 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Tabletop is going to be 48" x 28" concrete with glass centered up inside. Haven't chose the color a color for dye on concrete. Legs and frame will be polished welded steel square tube. Will end up going with some contemporary style castors since the finished product will end up being just under 175 lbs.
Thanks for the help and look forward to doing some other tabletops in different designs and styles. Bullseye Glass website has been a wealth of info and it makes working with glass all the more fun.
jstahl956

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 am

Thank you for the kind words--and we do want to see a photo of your finished table!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Return to Online Education