bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Laser-Printed Sepia Decals

Laser-Printed Sepia Decals

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Laser-Printed Sepia Decals

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 am

Watch the Lesson at:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/lessons/laser-printed-sepia-decals-247.html

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Re: Laser-Printed Sepia Decals

Postby aheilman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Can you fuse decals between 2 layers of glass. If so do you need to cover with powder?
thanks
al Heilman
www.alheilman.com
aheilman

Postby barbl1209 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 am

For the fusing schedule -since all kilns fuse differently - is the 1400 temp what you consider for a full fuse? It would be helpful if when you give schedules you say " 1400 or whatever your kiln full fuses (or what ever you are trying for) at. I have one kiln that full fuses at 1410 & another that full fuses at 1510!
barbl1209

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm

1400 around here is only slightly less than a full fuse. In fact, for some of our kilns, it could be a full fuse.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BEVID
marykaynitchie

Postby Ted » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 am

Al Heilman,

"Can you fuse decals between 2 layers of glass. If so do you need to cover with powder?"

Yes, you can fuse decals between 2 layers of glass. We didn't do exhaustive testing on this issue, and most of the tests that we did for doing so were only 4"x4", so larger projects may yield different results. Here's a basic synopsis of what we found:

1. There was no evidence of the carrier film causing a contamination problem when firing the decals between layers in a single firing.
2. Bubbles between layers seemed slightly larger than normal when firing the decals between layers in a single firing, causing some image distortion.
3. Pre-firing the decal on the base sheet of glass to 1400°F prior to capping it with another layer yields a higher resolution image with a more consistent hue than not pre-firing and than pre-firing to 1225°F.
4. We did not test putting powder between the layers of sheet glass (on top of the decal), but I suspect that you would see fewer large bubbles that cause gross distortion of the image, but many more small bubbles that cause a slightly soften of the image. The main reasons that we covered with powder in the video were to cover evidence of the carrier sheet, and to provide a protective layer for the decal for greater durability and in case we wanted to sandblast the surface and add more imagery. Placing a sheet of glass over the decal achieves these objectives as well.

I hope that this is helpful.

Thank you,

Ted
Ted

Postby billglasshead » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 pm

If I want to apply color over the decal using opaque enamels and/ or transparent frit, when and how should I do that?
billglasshead

Return to Online Education