bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Master Class: Tall Vessels with Amanda Simmons

Master Class: Tall Vessels with Amanda Simmons

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Master Class: Tall Vessels with Amanda Simmons

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Watch the Lesson at:
https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/master-class-tall-vessels-with-amanda-simmons/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Re: Master Class: Tall Vessels with Amanda Simmons

Postby Denadknight » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 am

Hi, I purchased and watched the video. Why didn’t her 12mm blank spread? I did a 15mm blank Using 2 clear and colored strips total of 3 layers on top of the frame. My blank completely spread out. Where should I have add the extra glass in order to avoid the spread?
Thanks
Denadknight

Postby Denadknight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:53 pm

Am I the only person on here or took this course?

BE can you answer my question ?
Denadknight

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi Dena,
Sorry for the delay. Our moderators were away last weekend. What was the firing cycle you used for your blank? I will review the video and see if I can help you.
Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi,

Given a long time at full firing process temperature, both blanks will tend to spread as much as necessary to achieve a depth of 6mm.

It's possible that her 12mm blank did spread a bit. A 15mm blank is expected to spread more than a 12mm blank, under similar firing conditions.

Let us know how your piece turns out!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby fuzionbyfrances » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi, just watched the video and can't wait to do some testing. Amanda slumped through an 8mm opening, but how is that adjusted for a larger opening. I know I have to make the entire blank larger, but don't know how to calculate the thicknesses with wider drops. Do we still stick to the formula she gave us for calculating thickness of blank needed, even when the size of the blank is larger?
fuzionbyfrances

Postby beadtyc1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am

marykaynitchie@bullseyeglass.com wrote:Hi,

Given a long time at full firing process temperature, both blanks will tend to spread as much as necessary to achieve a depth of 6mm.

It's possible that her 12mm blank did spread a bit. A 15mm blank is expected to spread more than a 12mm blank, under similar firing conditions.

Let us know how your piece turns out!

Mary Kay

Amanda mentions in her video that because she is not taking the blank to full fuse, the blank will not spread. Also note that the entire blank is not 12mm thick, only the center is.
beadtyc1

Postby ejgiebel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:00 am

I took the class with Amanda, and the blanks did spread a bit, but as Mary Kay said, it wasn't a full fuse so they didn't just spread as much as a full fuse.

That said, since I took the class, I've made a lot (around 40) of these using all 3 ring sizes Bullseye sells. I came back from the class and adjusted the schedule to just doing a tack fuse at 1350 for 5 minutes, with a good bubble squeeze (ramp @ 50 degrees/hour from 1100 to 1250, with a 1 hour hold at 1250). And I double the anneal hold time at 900 degrees. This pretty much eliminates the spread and the bubbles and I haven't had any problems, and I have done some very tall drops (19-20 inches).

One final note is that if you just do the tack fuse, you need the square to be a tad bigger, since the edges won't bulge out. I add about 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch for short drops (10 inches or less) and something more for taller drops. Make sure the square fits the drop ring without significantly (more than 1/8 inch or so) hanging over the edges. Otherwise, cut those edges before you fuse (unless you have a tile saw or grinder to take care of the overhang after the fact).
Ed Giebel
ejgiebel

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 am

Hi Ed,

Thanks for sharing details on your variations in the technique!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Online Education