bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Kilnformed Container

Kilnformed Container

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Re: Kilnformed Container

Postby charlie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm

sheila_rosa@comcast.net wrote:How about kilns that only have top elements? Should I use or do anything differently?

no. heat is heat.
charlie

Postby propoker4all » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am

Can I use vermicultie board instead of fiberboard to make the container?

Thanks,
propoker4all

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm

I was told that vermiculite board is fine to substitute for fiberboard. However, it needs to be lined with fiber paper instead of prepared with shelf primer.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby rowergrl2 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm new to fusing. I was wondering if I wanted to make a taller kilnformed container about 26 cm tall, how does that effect the firing schedule and temperature?
rowergrl2

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 am

If the thickness of the mold and the width of the cavity is the same, I don't think anything needs to be changed in the firing cycle.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby hunclecharlie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 am

Are there any guidelines on mold thickness, or whether one should move to a different mold material, if we want to make substantially deeper vessels?

Hydrostatic pressure is a function of the depth of the liquid. So deeper molds, no matter how thick the glass walls will be, have to stand up to much greater pressure from the molten glass. I hate the thought of molds failing at 1500 degrees F.

I would love to know how Jessica Loughlin made the molds for her deep, rectangular vessels, some of which must have had molds nearly 20 inches deep:

http://www.bullseyegallery.com/Artwork- ... NewID=2480
hunclecharlie

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:38 am

Hi,

The process for making forms like Loughlin's is extremely challenging. As the size of a hollow box form gets bigger, the process becomes more difficult to dial in.

Have you made the smaller box forms yet?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby hunclecharlie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 am

marykaynitchie@bullseyeglass.com wrote:Hi,

The process for making forms like Loughlin's is extremely challenging. As the size of a hollow box form gets bigger, the process becomes more difficult to dial in.

Have you made the smaller box forms yet?

Mary Kay

I have made many hollow form pieces but the deepest is about seven inches deep and twelve inches in length on its longest side. I used fiber board and it bowed out in the center so that the walls of the glass are curved. It didn't crack, so it was not catastrophic, but it made me reluctant to go deeper.

I would just like some rough guidelines for these types of straight walled box forms. How deep can you go with the dense vermiculite board vs. fiber board vs. plaster/silica/grog? How thick were Loughlin's molds and what were they made of?

Thanks
hunclecharlie

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:33 am

Hi,

I would love to see some photos of your boxes! Can you upload any here, or direct us to photos online?

Meanwhile, I am seeking advice on the questions that you asked about your piece that is 7" tall and 12" wide. How thick are the walls, and what is the other dimension of the box?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby hunclecharlie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 am

I will see if I can get some slides scanned for upload. They are old work but I'm planning new work based somewhat on this technique.

Again, I'm not looking to repair or re-fire my 7 inch deep box, (it's frit now anyway), or copy Jessica Loughlin's work. I'm looking for general guidelines on how deep and wide I can expect to go before a one inch thick vermiculite board mold will fail. I know that there are lots of variables -- in my 7 inch box I probably had too few screws into the bottom of the walls.

Maybe I can ask the question this way: If I built a box mold using full size vermiculite boards -- 24 inches deep and 36 inches long on two sides -- using the same construction techniques described in the video, would that mold survive? Would it bow out or stretch in the middle but not break? (I can always cold work the glass.) How bout if I ripped the boards down to 12 inches deep?

My understanding is that the third dimension of the piece and the thickness of the glass walls do not matter in this question. The pressure imparted by the glass on the mold walls is purely a function of its depth and mass when it is molten -- hydrostatic pressure. Of course there are ways to reinforce a mold but that enters into the question once we know where the mold will fail.

Thanks for your concern. I know I'm pushing a little.
hunclecharlie

PreviousNext

Return to Online Education