bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Kilnformed Container

Kilnformed Container

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Re: Kilnformed Container

Postby Paul McNulty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Hydrostatic pressure of a 24" column of glass works out to 2.17 psi.
Although the compressive strength for Vermiculite board is close to 150 PSI & its Modulus of Rupture is 36. This is equivalent to a 2 pound point load breaking a 1" x1" bar over a 12" span for a 3 point bend test. Although it is strong in compression - its low tensile and flexural strength require that casting vessels be engineered in such a way that they cannot flex (or be in tension) when loaded.
Paul McNulty

Postby NancyB » Mon May 30, 2016 4:10 pm

In the video, the annealing time is computed by multiplying the box thickness by 4 and following the annealing cycle for that thickness. Can you tell me where the factor of 4 comes from?

Thanks.
Nancy Bobb
Firewalker Studio
www.firewalkerstudio.com
NancyB

Postby NancyB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 pm

So, it's been almost a year since I posed the above question. Any thoughts?
Nancy Bobb
Firewalker Studio
www.firewalkerstudio.com
NancyB

Postby ejgiebel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:44 pm

I use the time of day plan with my electric company (I get charged a lower rate during lower demand periods, which includes the weekends) and I am assuming that the 8 hour hold at 200 degrees is to fully dry the investment block so as not to get steam bubbles. I am hoping I can do that ramp to 200 and hold for 8 hours as a separate step prior to adding the glass and sides, and then just ramp from room temp at 100 degrees an hour until I get to bubble soak at 1225.

Just trying to fit this into the 9pm Friday to 5am Monday window for lower cost electric. Once it gets down to 250 degrees, it won't need much power to keep the ramp down at 41 degrees an hour. Oh, and I live in the desert, so the investment block isn't going to pick up a lot of moisture from the air if there is any concern about that.
Ed Giebel
ejgiebel

Postby mksanders2020 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 pm

How does one make the kiln formed container using billet instead of strips?
mksanders2020

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:05 am

I think that you can cut the right amount of billets by weight and stack the pieces over the core. The glass should flow to the sides, and form the walls and bottom of the box.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Previous

Return to Online Education