bullseyeglass.com • View topic - On-edge Strip Construction

On-edge Strip Construction

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

On-edge Strip Construction

Postby cpetrauskas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Watch the Lesson at:
https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/on-edge-strip-construction/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
cpetrauskas

Re: On-edge Strip Construction

Postby Stephen Richard » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:26 am

In spit of your recommendations, I have always drawn my design/template on Thinfire and assembled directly onto the Thinfire covered shelf. I have not had problems - yet - of thinfire incorporating into the glass.

For those of us who work in Celsius, a note at the end of the video or separately in text below the video screen of the Celsius equivalents of the temperatures mentioned would be very useful.

Thanks for the tutorial. It confirmed a number of things for me and added a couple of things.
Stephen Richard

Postby cindyjones00 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

I learned a few things. The tip on holding at 1225 for 45 min to level the glass, cutting different widths to add dimension coupled with color could result in interesting pieces, framing windows with opals, and probably my favorite the steel blue effect. It will be fun to try. Thanks for the lessons
cindyjones00

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Cindy,

If you are inspired by this video to make a strip construction piece that you want to share, feel free to post a photo in this thread!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby adamstg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:04 pm

If I want the shelf side be the top in the finished piece and I want a glossy finish, will I be able to achieve that when slumping at 1325, or do I need to cold work the piece before slumping. If so what grit finish is needed.
adamstg

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi Adam,

You won't get a glossy surface at 1325°F with the shelf side flipped to the top. If you sandblast it, you can get a satin surface. For a glossy surface, I think you would need to take it as close as possible to cerium or cork.

Anyone else have more experience to share? We have lots of coldworking videos in our subscription collection. You can see the titles here: https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/index-of-videos-by-topic/

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Online Education