bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Box Casting

Box Casting

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Re: Box Casting

Postby Ted » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Robin,

Sorry to be so slow...

You could pop the bubbles and refire them. You can use much the same schedule that you did previously, just skip the long hold at 200°F. Then visually confirm that the bubbles have closed by monitoring the casting at top temperature. Generally speaking, you want to monitor castings at temperature to make sure that you keep an eye on any bubbles that might be coming up, and either skip before they disturb the surface, or commit to holding at temperature long enough for them to pop and heal.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks,

Ted
Ted

Postby gwen.bernecker » Fri May 09, 2014 8:14 pm

I am looking for a local supplier of vermiculite board in the NYC/Philly region. It appears that there are many different compositions of Calcium Silicate board on the market. Do you have an MSDS sheet on the board that is used in the video? If there is a manufacturer you can recommend I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Gwen Bernecker
gwen.bernecker

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 am

Bullseye Glass Resource Center New York (Mamaroneck, NY) http://www.bullseyeglass.com/products/r ... -york.html

should be able to help you with these products: http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/catalogse ... te&x=7&y=9

Click on the two vermiculite items to see more details.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby thelmaandgiles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:34 am

can the box be smaller and then what size must the sculpture be in size to the proportion of area, i do not want to use a lot of glass when experimenting thanks thelma
thelmaandgiles

Postby Ginger_too » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm

How thin can you work with this method? I have a bumpy bath (5-6 mm thick) mat that would make a good impression of trees on a map.
My kiln has elements in the top only. Does this greatly affect the firing schedules?
Ginger_too

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:59 am

I am not aware that we have done any experimentation to see how thin we can go with this method. My best guess: the piece would need to thick enough to accommodate the depth of the texture plus at least 6-9 mm to cover.
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby oglassart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 am

Hi
I watched the 2 videos : open molds , casting box .
It is not clear to me why the different firing process between them, box casting is not exsmpel of open face mold?
. Especially the different firing ramp to the hights temperature .
Is it possible to get an explanation of what causes , why In The box casting process
the ramp temp. Is 150f and the open face is 600f?
Thank
Osnat
oglassart

Previous

Return to Online Education