bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Screen Printing with Hand-Cut Stencils

Screen Printing with Hand-Cut Stencils

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Screen Printing with Hand-Cut Stencils

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Watch the Lesson at:
https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/screen-printing-with-hand-cut-stencils/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Re: Screen Printing with Hand-Cut Stencils

Postby cdisullivan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I've watched the video and I would like to try using the stencil with powder printing. Is it my imagination or is the stencil on the inside of the screen. That is, the same side as the powder, rather than the bottom of the screen (where you would usually put the emulsion)? How many prints can you usually get before the vinyl fails? Thanks!
cdisullivan

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Deborah,

No, the vinyl stencil is not on the interior (ink well) side of the screen. It is on the bottom (print side).

Also, to clarify, with photoemulsion coating, even though it may be applied from just one side, it will penetrate the full thickness of the screen and be more or less equal thickness on both sides.

For longer runs of printing you may choose to apply multiple coats from both the inside and outside to build a more durable stencil.

Re: the number of powder prints you can get from a Mask-Ease vinyl stencil I'll have to ask but practically speaking a whole heck of a lot! That said, if you find yourself doing long-run production work you may want to consider photoemulsion stencils instead since then can be effortlessly replicated.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Postby cdisullivan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:15 am

Thanks Chris. Good information! I appreciate it.
cdisullivan

Postby Timmermanms » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:44 am

Ah, she asked the same question;may i ask one more? With the stencil on the opposite side won't a lot of powder stick to the sticky side and cause problems when changing colors? That said, is there a reason it's on that side?

Thank you!
Shereen
Timmermanms

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:45 am

Shereen,

The reason, as a general screen-printing practice, that the stencil is on the print side and not the inkwell side is so that the act of the repeated pulling of the squeegee doesn't damage the stencil. Imagine how quickly details would be scraped-off as it pulled across. By having the inkwell be just a smooth surface of screen the pulls will be smooth and unimpeded. Even in the photoemulsion process where the stencil is more or less "in" the screen, it is considered best practice to build a thicker layer of emulsion on the print side when coating. Hence a common coating pattern of "bottom-inkwell-bottom".

Re: the sticking of the powder/frit color that's not really an issue. Especially if, after reclaiming the excess powder, you tap out the screen then rinse & dry it thoroughly before a color change. At that point, anything that's stuck in the vinyl adhesive is stuck for good.

Again, if you're doing longer production runs consider creating the art in a photoemulsion stencil. It's significantly more durable and more easily repeatable compared to hand-cut vinyl. If you like the hand-cut look you could create the art in Rubylith and use that as the positive to burn your emulsion-coated screen.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Postby peterangel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:16 pm

What screen mesh size would I use to print with powder frit?

Pete
peterangel

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 am

Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby debalfstad » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Can this method be used with another vinyl? For example - Cricut vinyl?
debalfstad

Return to Online Education