bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Bringing Home Your New Kiln

Bringing Home Your New Kiln

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Bringing Home Your New Kiln

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 am

Watch the Lesson at:

https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/bringing-home-your-new-kiln/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Re: Bringing Home Your New Kiln

Postby lorakud » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 am

Sorry, but I don't think this lesson should be included in the paid subscription category. When I pay extra I expect to learn a new technique or process, not some basic information that could be printed on a flyer. Waste of money this month!
lorakud

Postby suds » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:53 am

lorakud wrote:Sorry, but I don't think this lesson should be included in the paid subscription category. When I pay extra I expect to learn a new technique or process, not some basic information that could be printed on a flyer. Waste of money this month!

Well, I was gonna keep my mouth shut, but... yeah, I agree.
I'd wager that most of the folks who have paid subscriptions already have a kiln and know how to set it up, and there was nothing in that lesson that isn't included in the first 10 pages of most kiln instruction manuals.
That may be the first lesson that I learned absolutely nothing from.
Ho hum.
Steve
suds

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! Our video series is kind of like a cookbook. We would love it if everyone liked each recipe, but we know that viewers will prefer some to others.

The reason we produced this video is because many of our subscribers have never had a kiln, and visitors to our Resource Centers ask our staff daily about how to set up kilns. It's truly a whole set of frequently-asked questions!

I can start another thread where you can let us know what kinds of topics you would like to see in the future. See you there!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Rgrimes13 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:05 am

maybe this particular video would be better placed in the free video section. I can see more people who would appreciate it seeing it through that option than through the paid subscriber option.
Rgrimes13

Postby rr6202 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Free or not, this was a great video to show my landlord how harmless kilnforming glass can be. When he saw my tabletop was more stable, my clearance greater, I was taking my time, and I was covered by my apt insurance, he had no problems with what I was doing.
rr6202

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Wow--we had not considered landlords as the audience for this video, but are extremely happy that you were able to use it to persuade yours! :D

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:23 am

OK, we listened--the video Bringing Home Your New Kiln is now available on the list of free videos. https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos ... -new-kiln/

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby yeruchem » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Probably a silly question but it seems to me that the studio in this video has a carpet on the floor beneath the kiln and most of what I have read about setting up a kiln indicates that one should have some type of concrete floor/underlay (flame retardant flooring) under a kiln. Any comment?
yeruchem

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 am

Generally, one would use a kiln in a room with a hard floor, but it would be OK to use a kiln in a carpeted room, because with a table underneath the kiln, there is no way that hot glass would get on the floor in the rare case of a runaway kiln. But if that is a concern, plywood topped with cement board or ceramic tiles could be placed on top of carpet, and the kiln stand placed on top of that.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Next

Return to Online Education