bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

Postby Chris_Petrauskas » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Watch the Lesson at:
https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/alchemy-clear-drop-out-bowls/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
Chris Petrauskas
Bullseye Glass Co.
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Chris_Petrauskas
Site Admin

Re: Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

Postby cassie671 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 am

Hi,
Will you be attaching a link to the additional information pdf for this lesson?
Thanks,
Cindy
cassie671

Postby jackiesdesk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:34 am

I set everything up, and am full fusing the blanks. But your lesson is really inadequate. You say (and I watched it three times to check) simply "FIRE TO 1250" to slump.

At what rate? It could be anything! I am very frustrated now. How could you miss out this vital bit of info? I hope someone will reply before tomorrow when I hope to slump my blank.
jackiesdesk

Postby nora » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:26 am

Hi, I have to agree, especially bearing in mind that this is not a free lesson, I was looking forward to a video that would go through the steps with all the relevant information needed to follow the project ourselves. Surely, that is the purpose of these videos.

If you could provide the slumping schedule to complete the lesson, that would be great!

Kind regards
Nina
nora

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 am

Hi all,

Thank you for posting to the Forum and for your feedback.

Here is a link to our lesson "Working with Drop-Out Molds" to help you with planning a firing cycle for your particular drop out design. We will add a link to this video to the Learn More document.

https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos ... out-molds/

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby jestersbaubles » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Nice tutorial, with several good tips and ideas, even though I don't use BE glass.

For one thing, I think whenever I've tried to cut the rim off a drop using my tile saw, I have had the bowl oriented wrong. You show the bowl part to the left side of the blade. When I tried it, I had it to the right. It hits the cutting guard this way. I never thought to turn it to the other side -- I just figured I needed a bigger saw. Duh :mrgreen:

Always something to learn!

Thanks! Dana
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:54 am

The Learn More document now includes two slumping cycles. Thanks for the feedback--I am glad we are able to fix it before we actually announce the video.

Dana, glad you are enjoying the project videos!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Gail L » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:53 am

Can you please tell me what the difference is between the Irid alchemy, and the glass that is "just" alchemy. Will the effects be different between the two glasses. If firing the irid does the silver need to touch the irid side to change color ? Does the alchemy glass need to be fired on a certain side ? Thanks in advance.
Gail L

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am

Hi Gail,

Iridescent (or iridized) sheets have a metallic coating on one side that acts as a buffer. Where the coating is stretched out (when the sheet is still hot and flexible) the alchemy glass is exposed, and the reaction might have a crackle pattern. I'll see if I can find a photo of this to illustrate the effect.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Gail L » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:53 am

Hi Mary Kay, thanks for responding to my question. I understand the irid coating, but am unclear on any added effects it would contribute to the piece. Does the silver need to be on the irid side to turn gold ? I've just fired silver on the alchemy silver to gold, however the silver is still "silver". Does the silver actually turn gold or appear to be gold after the slump > ( I'm going to do a drop)
Would firing the silver on the irid side create a different look ? Thanks in advance for any help.
Gail L

Next

Return to Online Education