bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Re: Alchemy Clear Drop-Out Bowls

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Gail,

Where the Alchemy Clear, Silver to Gold contacts the silver, the effect may be extremely subtle. This is because the iridescent coating is shielding or buffering most of the surface from actually contacting the silver. The only contact is in the tiny crackles in the iridescent surface which result from the sheet being stretched while hot in the factory. (We do this to give the iridescent surface less shine, and more of a satiny sheen.)

So, where the irid coating touches the silver, the silver will remain its original color. Where it contacts the glass, there will be little crackles of gold color, but they may be so small you can't see them very well without a loupe.

To give you an idea of the potential pattern, shown with much higher contrast, here are some tests showing copper glass fired against Reactive Clear, with an iridescent coating as a buffer. http://bit.ly/2eaPoiM

Does this make sense?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Gail L » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:16 am

Thank you Mary Kay, yes, the explanation helped. I think I will be doing some experimenting with the glass before I attempt the bowl again. Thank you !!!
Gail L

Postby bijoux » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:01 am

Hello,

Great video but am still unclear as to the differences between Alchemy clear and Iridised clear:
- Does the Alchemy glass not have a specific side compared to the Iridised
- Could we get same type of reaction with iridised silver clear capping silver foil in between with clear?
Many thanks,
Cheers from Paris
bijoux

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 am

Hi Bijoux,

Alchemy Clear glass used on either side will cause a reaction with certain other Bullseye Glass styles. I am having trouble picturing this arrangement:

"...iridised silver clear capping silver foil in between with clear..."

Is any Alchemy glass included in this arrangement? I am confused.

The best way for you learn about this is to make some small (6 cm x 6 xm) tests to see how the different arrangements work. We could write a book about these glasses, but there is no substitute for personal test tiles. It's really the best way to learn.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Previous

Return to Online Education