bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Backsplash

Backsplash

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Backsplash

Postby srpbecker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 am

I am thinking of making a backsplash for my kitchen, above my stove. Just read something about making sure that the glass can withstand the heat. Can I do this with Bullseye glass? Anybody experienced with this?
srpbecker

Re: Backsplash

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am

Lots of people make backsplashes out of Bullseye Glass, and I have never heard of one that failed due to thermal shock. To be conservative, you could limit the size of the tiles to no larger than 5" in diameter, but I think the risk is minimal.

If anyone has personal experience or advice to share, please post!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby eablitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm

ErinBlitz.JPG
Handmade Backsplash 2016
ErinBlitz.JPG (253.61 KiB) Viewed 15751 times

About a 18 months ago I installed my Bullseye Glass tiles in combination with factory made glass tiles above my gas stove. No problems yet and really haven't given it much thought. They are easy to clean too.
eablitz

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 am

Erin,

Nice work! Thanks for posting your backsplash!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Kevin Midgley » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 am

The bigger issue with making fused glass tiles for back splashes is matching the thickness of your finished tiles to the thickness of the other commercially made tiles you have chosen for the wall.
Different thicknesses can make for interesting grout lines.
If slightly thinner you could back butter the mastic on the tiles so as to increase their thickness to match the other wall tiles.
Also size does matter for the larger the tile the longer for the mastic to set. I've had large ones want to shift before setup is reached.
Also opaque glass is better to use or there must be extreme care during application so that there is an even smooth mastic coating on the fused glass. Mastic trowel lines are not usually desirable.
Kevin Midgley

Return to Technique