bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Streaky 002537

Streaky 002537

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Streaky 002537

Postby franking1818 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:16 pm

I purchased a full sheet of this lovely glass knowing that it is reactive. After full fusing a portion of the sheet, the result is basically dark, dark, brown. even portions that originally seemed to be clear. I really don't want brown glass. It would have been nice to have notes on the glass telling how to keep the colors. I checked the website but all it says is that the colors react. How do I avoid having the rest of the sheet turn brown? This was an expensive lesson.

Will it react as strongly at slumping temperatures?

Should I just throw it into the mosaic glass box?

Thanks for the info.
franking1818

Re: Streaky 002537

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 am

Hi,

For readers who may want to understand better what reaction you got with this glass, we show the nature of the reaction for 002537 in the photos in "About Our Glass":
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/french-van ... glass.html

So, the reaction upon firing is expected. (We do not test the degree of reaction at slumping temperatures, so if you have any of the glass left, you may want to test for that.) The colors will remain as they look in the cold sheet, if that glass is used for a cold application, such as stained glass or mosaic. There is no way to keep them the same upon firing.

You didn't mention whether your version of 002537 was Cascade Streaky or Infusion. If it was Cascade (with a large streak going down the center) you can expect more of the blue color to remain, as it is not in contact with the French Vanilla.

A similar style that will not have a color reaction is Warm White with True Blue Cascade (002964-CA30) http://www.bullseyeglass.com/warm-white ... scade.html

I am sorry that the results upon firing surprised and disappointed you. We hope that your next project goes more according to your plan.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Re: Streaky 002537

Postby franking1818 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 am

Thank you for your response. There is a very steep learning curve!
franking1818

Return to Technique