bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Tiny bubble popped on surface

Tiny bubble popped on surface

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Tiny bubble popped on surface

Postby yeruchem » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 am

plate section hole.jpg
plate section hole.jpg (186.37 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Hi, all. I am a newbie.
For one of my first assigned projects, I made an 8X11 plate (bottom layer 3 colors opal glass; top layer 2 colors trans glass plus clear) which was fired for me in the studio I was working in.
After firing, some areas of devit were observable as well as a tiny bubble that reached the surface in the center of the plate and popped, leaving a hole a bit smaller than a pinhead. The plate was subsequently sandblasted to remove the devit areas and with hopes that the hole would be healed and then was refired to slump. The plate came out without devit and with a beautiful satin finish but the hole was still present. I would love some advice on what can be done to fill or cover the hole.
Next question: after making the plate, I realized that one of the colors on the top layer of the plate was lead bearing. Does that mean that I cannot use the plate with food? Is it possible to lay a third layer of tekta glass over an already slumped plate to cap it? If that is possible to do, it may solve my hole problem as well.
I would appreciate any ideas people can share with me to address these two issues. Thanks.
Fraida
yeruchem

Re: Tiny bubble popped on surface

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi Fraida,

A pinhole bubble here and there is to be expected. You could sift clear Bullseye glass powder over the whole piece and fire it, and that might smooth it out. But if you ever get to see a Klaus Moje piece, you will find those little bubbles all over the place. It's a characteristic that reminds us it is glass rather than plastic.

Article: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... flaws.html

Here is a link to our FAQ question: Is Bullseye Glass Food Safe? http://www.bullseyeglass.com/is-bullsey ... -safe.html

If you are concerned about food safety, you could fully fire a sheet of thin clear (001101-0050) to the piece, and then slump the piece again. Be sure to use a slow schedule on the initial heat, so the air escapes before the edges of the clear glass seal to the piece. Better yet, use a thin layer of clear powder in between the bottom tile and the top sheet of thin clear. That will hold the glass apart so the air can escape in an orderly fashion.

I hope this helps--your glass colors are beautiful!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby yeruchem » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am

Thank you, Mary Kay, for your very helpful response.
Best,
Fraida
PS Thanks for the compliment about the colors; I also love them. I am attaching a photo of the whole plate.
Attachments
whole plate - Copy (800x631) (256x202).jpg
whole plate - Copy (800x631) (256x202).jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
yeruchem

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 am

Very nice work! Thanks for posting the image of the whole piece!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Return to Technique