bullseyeglass.com • View topic - french vanilla discoloration

french vanilla discoloration

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

french vanilla discoloration

Postby annlpfowler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 am

IMG_4627.JPG
IMG_4627.JPG (58.52 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
I am making some spoon rests using French vanilla as my base with steel blue frit as accents. I love the reaction at the interface! What I wasn't expecting was some large brownish discolorations in areas of the FV not even near the steel blue. Does french vanilla normally show brownish variations in coloring after firing, or is this some sort of fuming from the reaction of french vanilla and steel blue? I cut three other pieces of fv from the same sheet and did not get any discoloration on those. BTW I have never fired any silver on this kiln shelf so I don't expect that it due to silver stain.
annlpfowler

Re: french vanilla discoloration

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 pm

French Vanilla Opal (000137) has a habit of developing unexpected colors and patterns either based on its heat history during the manufacturing process, or based on contact with even small amounts of copper or silver. You won't see the aberrations in the cold sheet--these marks show up after firing.

If you don't enjoy these surprises, and you want a consistent warm white color, we suggest that you use Cream Opal (000420) or Warm White Opal (000920). These two styles are much less reactive and unpredictable than French Vanilla.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Re: french vanilla discoloration

Postby annlpfowler » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

Thank you for the reply, Mary Kay. I did notice when I held the piece up to the light that the areas of dark seemed less opaque than elsewhere on the piece. Now that I know I can get unexpected coloration I will plan accordingly. Thank you again!
annlpfowler

Return to Technique