bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Problems w/ fiber paper

Problems w/ fiber paper

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Problems w/ fiber paper

Postby blitva15 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:16 am

Hi,
I've been having problems with fiber paper while fusing jewellery pieces.
I cannot understand what could be the reason it's happening.

1.jpg
1.jpg (148.17 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

I am fusing either on a ceramic bisque tile or a normal kiln shelf with thinfire on top, it happens on both shelves.
It happens on nearly every Bullseye colour I try to use, but not every firing even if the temperature is the same.
I was thinking maybe the temp is too high with all the tiles in the kiln, maybe that's the problem.
Many thanks,

Mia
blitva15

Re: Problems w/ fiber paper

Postby jestersbaubles » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Volume of glass/too high of temperature.

Where the fiber paper is, you effectively have only a single layer of glass. The high temperature & surface tension of the glass are causing the bubble & the spikes. My guess is the pieces that experience this issue are darker in color, thus, more likely to flow, causing spikes and thin areas.

You don't note your firing schedule, but my guess is you need to reduce your top temp and/or reduce hold.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Re: Problems w/ fiber paper

Postby blitva15 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 am

jestersbaubles@gmail.com wrote:Volume of glass/too high of temperature.

Where the fiber paper is, you effectively have only a single layer of glass. The high temperature & surface tension of the glass are causing the bubble & the spikes. My guess is the pieces that experience this issue are darker in color, thus, more likely to flow, causing spikes and thin areas.

You don't note your firing schedule, but my guess is you need to reduce your top temp and/or reduce hold.

Dana W.

Thank you Dana for the response.
My hold is at minimum, I will lower the temp to see if it makes a difference.
The problem is accouring on different colours and different temperatures, that's what is bugging me the most.
I will play a little more with my firing schedules.
blitva15

Return to Technique