bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Full fuse recommendation for 6mm Bullseye black glass

Full fuse recommendation for 6mm Bullseye black glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Full fuse recommendation for 6mm Bullseye black glass

Postby mg03 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm another relative newbie to fusing. I have a Skutt 1414 and I did a full fuse of two 3mm black Bullseye half sheets using preprogrammed Skutt slow full fuse schedule. I got quite a few small bubbles in the glass. To finalize my project I set a 12 in. square of another glass in the middle of the half sheet and did another pre-programmed full fuse - slow. The bubbles disappeared and my project was perfect.I had been told that once bubbles were in the glass after a full fuse, that they would be there forever. Could the process of setting another glass in the middle, push the bubbles out?

In the interest of not re-inventing the wheel, I want to create the same piece again, but this time, using a half sheet of Bullseye 6mm thick black (so I don't have to fuse two 3mm sheets and again get bubbles). I also want to do another inset of a 12 in. square, into the black, in a full fuse. My question is whether I should do a full fuse of the 6mm glass alone first or go ahead and set my center square and go for a full fuse?

Next dilemma. Should I use the Skutt preprogrammed full fuse slow - or is there one you would recommend for such a large piece?

Any help is greatly appreciated. And, I think having access to this forum is absolutely the greatest6!

Martha
mg03

Re: Full fuse recommendation for 6mm Bullseye black glass

Postby jestersbaubles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:10 pm

I am not familiar with the Skutt kiln, but there is a lot of information on the internet about doing a "bubble squeeze". Essentially, you are holding the glass at about 1000 degrees for an extended period of time to let the glass settle and the bubbles escape. Google and you should find plenty of info.

If your Skutt program does not incorporate a squeeze, you may want to look at creating a custom firing program.

You can also design your pieces so that the chance of trapping bubbles is minimized, but that is essentially a top layer that is comprised of multiple pieces (which doesn't sound like it would work in your case).

Dana W.

www.jestersbaubles.com
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby tommckay » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:21 pm

I recommend you read Technotes #1,4 & 5 in Bullseye Education on this very website. There are quite comprehensive notes on kiln firing.
I use a Skutt kiln & find the controller pretty good. In the standard Auto progs you can only alter the final fusing temp but there is user programming to you exact needs. In one of the Tech notes bubble squeeze is discussed & they give a sample program. Perfect for Bullseye glass of course.
tommckay

Postby tommckay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 pm

I forgot to mention that somewhere on the Bullseye web site they talk about the difference between the 'softness' of black vs white. In fact the black is much softer than the white & there is a sample of the difference in fused shape between black on white & white on black. Sorry I cannot fins exactly where I saw it.
tommckay

Postby Lani McGregor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 am

That's in the Education section under TechNotes at:

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/

See:
008085 TechNotes 5: Volume & Bubble Control (revised 2007-04-04)

Tom, you are really making me "rediscover" the tech section of our website!
Thnx!
L
Lani McGregor

Return to Technique