bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Kilnformed Container

Kilnformed Container

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Kilnformed Container

Postby cpetrauskas » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 am

Watch the Lesson at:
https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/kilnformed-container/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
cpetrauskas

Re: Kilnformed Container

Postby joanne » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:21 pm

A great lesson. Thanks. Am I correct in calculating it takes over 60 hours to fire this piece?
joanne

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi Joanne,

Yes--by my calculation, it looks like the firing and annealing cycles take about 70 hours.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby franceselson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Do you see any reason that the center block couldn't be fabricated out of stainless steel, eliminating the need for casting it myself?
franceselson

Postby nathansandberg » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:30 am

Hello,
While, in theory, metal could be used as a replacement for an investment core I believe the risks outweigh the conveniences of fabricating a metal box. Since metal contracts more than glass upon cooling you probably wouldn't have to worry about the glass pinching the metal core, trapping it in place. However there is the challenge of thoroughly applying a release to the metal so the glass doesn't stick. Shelf Primer or Boron Nitride come to mind as possible releases in this situation but I can almost guarantee that you will scratch through either of these products as you are loading the mold, revealing the metal core...which the glass will ultimately stick to.

I also think the metal core is going to expand more than the investment on the way up to temperature and could potentially disrupt your glass setup.

I have personally made more than a few similar boxes and find that casting a large investment block and cutting many customized cores from it is an efficient, inexpensive, way to succeed.

Hope it helps,
Nathan Sandberg
nathansandberg

Postby vandendolder-voet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 am

For European members it would be nice if you have the firing schedules also in Celsius
vandendolder-voet

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 am

You can find the Celsius schedules in the document "Kilnformed Container Additional Information PDF" under the "Learn More" tab. (Under this tab we also provide a number of other related articles pertinent to the project.) For your convenience, here is a link to the article:

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/images/sto ... d_info.pdf

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Nathan,

I received a question from member Eric and told him I would ask you:

I signed up for your education subscription yesterday because I found out that unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts, I would be unable to attend either of the Boxes and Bowls classes Nathan was teaching this summer. I thought I’d watch the education video on cast containers to help me along on this.

Having never used fiberboard up to this point, it’s unclear to me which brand to use or where to get it here in the NW (I’m near Seattle). Do you know, or would you be willing to ask Nathan, what brand of fiberboard to use for the smoothest box surfaces, and even better, where I can get some either in the NW or online?
--Eric

What say you, Nathan, or any Forum members---do you have suggestions for what kind of fiberboard to buy, and where to get it, especially in Seattle or online?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby nathansandberg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 am

Hello,
I recommend using Unifrax LD Duraboard or a similar product. The LD board is the same board we use when preparing a large fiberboard shelf and is what we recommend in Technote 6. It is available through Unifrax or Western Industrial Ceramics in Tualatin, OR. (suburb of Portland)

Hope it helps,
n.
nathansandberg

Postby sheila_rosa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 am

How about kilns that only have top elements? Should I use or do anything differently?
sheila_rosa

Next

Return to Online Education