bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Gum Image Transfer

Gum Image Transfer

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Gum Image Transfer

Postby cpetrauskas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Watch the Lesson at:
https://videos.bullseyeglass.com/videos/gum-image-transfer/

Please discuss and comment in this thread.

Thanks!
cpetrauskas

Re: Gum Image Transfer

Postby ejgiebel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Any idea how low relative humidty might affect this process? My concern is that the ink will start to dry before I can get enough of a build up to do the transfer. Keeping the paper wet shouldn't be a problem. Just curious if anyone in a desert area has tried this (or I can just wait for the monsoons to start).

Ed
Ed Giebel
ejgiebel

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 am

Hi,

Before moving to Oregon years ago, I started making prints on paper in Colorado, which also has low humidity, and the only problems with ink drying up too fast happened when using water-based inks.

Because the ink in this process is oil-based, it is highly unlikely that it will dry up within the time you use to roll it out and apply it to the glass. And I am not sure exactly what Setswell (the recommended ink modifier) is made of, but it has a texture similar to room-temperature butter, so that would not dry very fast either.

The fact that you can store the leftover ink for up to a week in folded-up waxed paper is another indication that it doesn't dry very quickly.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby ejgiebel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks for the insight. I thought it best to ask before I got into it.

Ed
Ed Giebel
ejgiebel

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 pm

AWESOME

In the best of "be careful what you ask for", I commented how basic the last lesson was, its great to see you listented and then some! Now i need to go find some ink, a roller, sponges etc etc.

Thanks so much for this one!!!!
Gerry

Postby marykaynitchie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 am

Hi Gerry,

Hahaha! I can't wait to tell Carrie Iverson!

As I mentioned before, we had to start the video series somewhere, and it seemed prudent to start with the fundamentals and then move into wider-ranging techniques. We have a lot of printing-on-glass topics coming up. Thanks for your encouragement!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Gerry » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I got to pondering (which is sometimes dangerous), and now I have a question. Does the ink color matter when using lighter glasses? I dont know what they use to color inks, but if it didn't burn out totally would it impact the color of the finished product?

Also are there certain chemicals used to color the ink that impact the final glass color?

Or am i overthinking the whole thing? On the other hand i hate to open the kiln and go "oh man" or non repeatable variations when things didnt go as i hoped they would.
Gerry

Postby rzeeski » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 am

Got to pick up some supplies and try this. Thanks!
rzeeski

Postby zadygirl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:52 am

Great lesson! Just a few questions!

Should the paper the image is printed on be regular laser paper? Does the weight of the paper matter?

If you sandwich the print between layers of glass would you fire the first layer as shown then add the top layer of glass to cap it off? I wondered if there would be any distortion of the print either way when its fired?

In pondering Gerry's earlier question of different color inks and continuing it with a question of different colored powders, would you try to match the ink to the color of the powder? i.e. if I wanted a orange print would I need to use orange ink/powder or does the ink burn off only leaving the color of the powder behind? I hope I worded that correctly!

As for the firing schedules, the lesson was a little vague only stating using your schedule for the affect you were after but not saying what different temps would create what affect. Perhaps this is where we might need to take the class ;) which is on my list for the near future but just curious!

Thanks for a wonderful advanced lesson!

Jeri
zadygirl

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Jeri,

Great questions!

1. Iverson uses regular white bond paper.

2. We would recommend firing first, then capping in a subsequent firing.

3. The color of the powder used is the color that fires onto the glass. The ink burns off.

We do recommend taking the class. The work coming out of Iverson's classes is really interesting!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Next

Return to Online Education