bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Gum Image Transfer

Gum Image Transfer

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Powdered Gum Arabic

Postby carrie_iverson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am

I've had a few people contact me recently about using powdered gum arabic as an alternative to liquid. The powdered form works well, though the proportions are different. The ratio that I've found works well: 28 grams gum arabic powder to 175 grams of water. You want to use cool water and mix it well, adding a little powder at a time. I'd suggest doing it in smaller batches since it will spoil if it sits around too long.

cheers,
Carrie
carrie_iverson

Re: Gum Image Transfer

Postby cherylsattler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:39 pm

I could use some more specifics on the products recommended. There are 3 types of gum arabic on the Graphic Chemical site, many kinds of inks, etc. Thanks.
cherylsattler

Postby cherylsattler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:48 pm

...and does it matter if you mix your own gum arabic liquic from the powdered gum arabic? It seems way cheaper. There seem to be many, many gum arabic formulations out there!
cherylsattler

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Cheryl,

I think that Carrie answers your question about two posts above yours. Or did I misunderstand your question? She says the powdered form works well, but the proportions are different.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby carrie_iverson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Cheryl-

For ink I suggest Charbonnel Universal Black, RSR Black, or Ivory Black etching ink.

For gum arabic you can use powdered, though the premixed liquid has a longer shelf life.

For powdered the ratio that I've found works well: 28 grams gum arabic powder to 175 grams of water. You want to use cool water and mix it well, adding a little powder at a time. I'd suggest doing it in smaller batches since it will spoil if it sits around too long.

For liquid gum arabic you want the regular 14 Baume kind, not the acidified kind (that's for etching stones/plates).

cheers,
Carrie
carrie_iverson

Postby azintrees » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Looking at buying some materials. Does it matter which Gum Arabic I purchase?
-Gum Arabic - Synthetic A Gum O
-Gum Arabic - Synthetic, acidified A Gum Z
-Gum Arabic, Solution
Senefelder's Gum Arabic Solution - 14 Baume

Thanks so much,
Amber
azintrees

Postby carrie_iverson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 am

For liquid gum arabic you want the Senefelder's Gum Arabic Solution - 14 Baume, not the acidified kind (that's for etching stones/plates).

thanks,
Carrie
carrie_iverson

Postby trigirl333 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:16 pm

I'm really excited about this process but I'm told it's super fiddly and frustrating. As a newbie to this, what are the best "learn froms" people are willing to share. I have on order, fine litho sponges, Setswell and black universal Charbonnel Etching Ink...I have the rest. I'll use a toner copier from work since my printer is an ink jet. Anybody have advice for me? I did watch the video, by the way. :)
My goal is to get very dark "imprints" on glass such as dark black on just about any glass color either opal or trans.
Thanks!
Jen
trigirl333

Postby Haleybach » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 pm

I have a few questions.

Soft brayer, right?

Is there any reason not to use citric acid to prevent scumming? It works when doing traditional litho prints with the xerox method.

Have you ever tried polyester litho plates with this method? Not much advantage for single prints, I guess.
Haleybach

Postby carrie_iverson » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 am

Hello-

In answer to your questions- yes, you want to use a soft brayer for this process.

As for your other questions, I don’t use citric acid or polyester plates (I’m assuming you mean pronto plates?). That is not to say you couldn’t, I am just interested in minimizing the number of specialized materials in my classes (and my own work). I guess I am a little old fashioned in that I feel it’s better to focus on printing correctly than add in additives to correct print issues!

Also (besides being cheaper and more readily available) paper has the advantage of being porous since you’re printing onto a non-porous surface (glass). I would guess that you might have more of an issue with water interfering with your transfer if you used a plastic plate.

But if you do try pronto plates please post photos and share how it goes!

Thanks,
Carrie
carrie_iverson

PreviousNext

Return to Online Education