bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Iridized Chopstick- how to use for best effect

Iridized Chopstick- how to use for best effect

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Iridized Chopstick- how to use for best effect

Postby crocglass » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 pm

I just purchased a sheet of BE iridized chopstick glass to incorporate into some rainbow irid plates I am making as a wedding present. Using a black base, I have strips of the chopstick alternating with the rainbow irid which is on black. The problem is that the chopsticks are not distinct nor is the irid surface. Should this be used over a transparent glass for a more striking effect or all fired facedown? I am ready to experiment again but have my tail between my legs thinking all would be well with the first two dinnerplates--must learn to start small while experimenting.
crocglass

Re: Iridized Chopstick- how to use for best effect

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi,

Is the Chopstix style this one? Clear Chopstix, iridized, rainbow, fusible, 3mm (004402-0031F)?

We have several other Chopstix styles that don't normally include an iridized coating, but maybe we made some as an experiment. I am trying to get a clear mental picture of the glass styles you are using. A photo would be helpful, if you can snap one and upload it.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby crocglass » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes, that is the glass (the glass I purchased only has stringer on it).
crocglass

Postby marykaynitchie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm

You say the that the stringers ("chopstix") are indistinct. Is this before or after firing? If it is after firing, is it after a full fuse (and the glass is smooth and glossy) or is it a lower temperature tack fuse? (Still working on getting a mental picture.)

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby crocglass » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:10 pm

It is after full fuse. I think part of the problem is that I fused it on a black base. The rainbow irid on black strips next to it fused fine, the chopstix glass did not have much of an effect. I took a photo class this evening and will try to post a picture tomorrow.
crocglass

Postby marykaynitchie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi all,

Here is an image of the piece in question.

Did it look quite a bit different before firing?
Is it fired to a smooth finish?

It looks nice to me. The main effect of the clear chopstix is to change how the irid is deposited, adding a random linear element. To me, the contrast of color and design with the rainbow irid looks good.

Mary Kay
img_0176 bullseye.jpg
img_0176 bullseye.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby crocglass » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Mary Kay,

I thought I could obtain some depth and more interest than resulted with the chopstix. On the next piece which had the Chopstix irid section over turquoise transparent glass, it just appears like something was mistakenly fired on to the glass with no sharp lines. I will try firing the Chopstix irid down (was worried about air bubbles since it is not a flat surface) with a bubble squeeze to determine if I can obtain more character to the lines.

It is fired to a smooth finish. The Chopstix has more sparkle and character in the unfused sheet!

Crocglass
crocglass

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi,

When the Chopstix is fired to a smooth finish, it should look like a regular iridized sheet, but with markings on the surface. The stringers melt into the surface. The glittery texture disappears.

The sparkle that you describe comes from the texture of the glass, and the refracted light going through the clear stringers one way and through the sheet glass another. When the texture disappears (as in a full fuse) what remains is the interesting irid pattern. This is kind of subtle in the cold, textured sheet, because the texture of the glass catches the light, and the irid finish can be difficult to see well on a clear sheet. The main thing that the Chopstix (stringer) does for the fused sheet is to break up the irid coating in interesting ways. The thickness of the coating provides the color, and it is applied in a mist to the hot glass. The surface texture of the stringers on the blocks the mist in such a way that the irid coating deposits in a less regular way across the glass, and after fusing, you may see color variations and lines showing where the stringer was located as it disturbed the path of the mist.

I am sorry it did not turn out the way you expected. Firing it face down may cause the irid to look more glittery, but the stringers themselves may become less visible, as they did when you fired face up. It's worth trying, though! And you might try firing it layered onto different colors, just to see if that causes any pleasing variations.

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby crocglass » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Mary Kay,

Thank you for the explanation. When we picked out the glass the salesclerk tried to find the 1/2 with the most stringer--more would have been better in obtaining more refraction on the surface. I will try again with the area that has more stringer.
crocglass

Postby marykaynitchie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 am

Forum members,

If you have images of pieces that you've made with Clear Chopstix, Iridized (004402-0031F), feel free to post one (just one, please) on this thread. That might help everyone to understand what to expect from this glass style.

I will post an image that is not a finished piece. It is the image we use in the catalog and in the online store. Part of the sheet was photographed on a black background to better show the iridescent coating and the stringers than on a white background.

Thanks!

Mary Kay
Attachments
004402-0031.jpg
004402-0031.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Next

Return to Technique