bullseyeglass.com • View topic - thin fire and irid

thin fire and irid

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

thin fire and irid

Postby Melissa F » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm

I, too, (see Sally D. on Feb 12) notice how different my old thin-fire paper was to the new one. This new one is much harder to wash off, and does seem to tear with movement of the glass heating. It does not have Bullseye written on it, although it was bought from CR Loo in Oakland as Bullseye...but as I am now in England, it is a long way to go back and ask...! I also read that it should have a shiny side and a not-shiny side - mine looks the same both sides.
My particular problem of the moment may be to do with the paper - or it may be to do with the glass. I have twice used a 3mm Bullseye clear irid as a base for a tile, irid side down on the paper.(Shelf was kiln-washed as well) The irid base had one other 3mm layer of plain transparent on top),
First time the firing was a normal quite conservative tack fuse, with a slow ramp up and holds to allow a good bubble squeeze - and the second firing went up to a full fuse, again with bubble squeeze holds.
Each time the glass on the bottom (irid side on paper) was completely pitted with a million popped bubbles or as if it had been shot with a million tiny bullets - sort of like an orange skin.
Then if you look from the top of the glass it looks as though there are a million bubbles as well as the 'orange skin' effect seen from the base. I took some pics. but cant work out how to post them. Anyway - it is quite horrendous! There is also a piece of Tekta beside the irid - and that is perfect - no bubbles, no pitting.
Is it possible I have a bum piece of irid? Does such a terrible thing ever happen??!!!
Or is it some reaction with the paper? (although a colored irid down is OK)
I now am wary of using this piece of irid - AND the paper...frozen into non-action am I!!!!
Thanks for any help!
Melissa
Melissa F

Re: thin fire and irid

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 am

OH my!!! you know I was doing abit of experimenting with Silver Irid, and getting some really interesting effects like you are describing. Was your Silver irri. Just a thought . I believe it could be a reaction with the Standis Chloride. (not sure of spelling ,) I will go to the dictionary.
Leslie
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby Stephen Richard » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:14 am

Bullseye state that you should not put the iridised coating in contact with thinfire.
steve
Stephen Richard

Postby Melissa F » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 am

thanks so much everyone - I am completely amazed that apparently I have never put irid face down before - as I was so sure I had done it many times...but as I have never had this reaction before, I suppose I just dreamed it! It is terrific to know - and somehow I have never even seen Bullseye saying not to put it face down in all the years I've been reading their tipsheets etc. Great to know...and yes - if anyone wants a spectacular show of bubbles ...this is the way to go!
Melissa
Melissa F

Postby Melissa F » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:36 am

PS to Leslie...I was using the rainbow irid - but this sounds as though ANY irid is a no-no face down (unless you are wanting the ultra-champagne effect...!)
Melissa F

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

OH!!! I have not had that happen. BUT I did under the Silvery irri. But thanks for posting. I also have been corrected on the "Stannous Chloride " so here is the correct spelling. Not sure if this has anything to do with it though but I think it is part of the Irri spray system, but not sure.
Les
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby marykaynitchie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 am

Hi Melissa,

It's true that we sometimes see an unexpected reaction between ThinFire and iridized coatings, particularly in the silver range of the rainbow. Here is a link to ThinFire instructions for use. http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdf/other_ ... e_2009.pdf

Shelf primer is a better separator when fusing irid face down, and some people even line all their vessel pieces with a glass sheet of irid face down, because the coating separates so nicely from the shelf primer, and gives an elegant finish to the underside of a vessel.

Thanks to all of you who had advice to share on this issue!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby Melissa F » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 am

ah-ha ...having said I read all the Bullseye tipsheets - i never read THAT one...presuming I am sorry to say, that I knew all about it already! Good lesson! Thanks again everyone.
Melissa F

Return to Technique