bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Using Foils with Kiln-Glass

Using Foils with Kiln-Glass

For discussion and commentary regarding the Lesson and Project videos of the Bullseye Kiln-Glass Education Online program.

Re: Using Foils with Kiln-Glass

Postby elianeb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 am

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your very helpful response, it is now clearer for me and I shall post a photo as soon as I have made my test pieces.

Eliane
elianeb

Postby simplyseedless » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:36 pm

I am trying this technique right now with thin loose gold leaf (it was cheaper and I am in a time crunch).
I was wondering if I could use any other product other than glass tack? For instance Modge Podge, Elmber's glue? I know that it would burn up in the kiln regardless but I do not want any odd effects from the burning of the glue.
Also, is gold known to contaminate shelves?

Thanks!
simplyseedless

Postby charlie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 pm

i use sewing machine oil, and no, gold isn't known for contaminating shelves.
charlie

Postby simplyseedless » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 pm

charlie wrote:i use sewing machine oil, and no, gold isn't known for contaminating shelves.

Thanks Charlie for the tip and info.

For anyone else reading this, don't buy cheap gold 24k flakes from a craft store, it does not fuse properly (it turns black).
simplyseedless

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for sharing the tip about the cheap gold flakes from the craft supply store!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Postby jestersbaubles » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 am

Most of the "gold" (and other metals) from the craft store is aluminum. I think the only real metal is the copper.

Dana W.
Dana Worley Fused Glass Designs
dba Jester's Baubles
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http://www.jestersbaubles.blogspot.com
jestersbaubles

Postby atwozstudio » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:13 pm

I have purchased the silver foil from Bullseye. I want to put it on my work which is a drop ring piece. I could not find in this discussion the firing temperature for the silver. I'm trying to decide if I should make the drop ring glass THEN add silver; or put silver on the bottom-side of the glass and then let it drop onto the cookie (used for a foot). OR if I should cap the silver and full fuse the three layers of glass prior to the 28 hrs. it takes for the drop ring at 1225°F. (I was told low and slow was the best way to proceed with this type of work. I just want the silver to be silvery not really yellow. TIA
atwozstudio

Postby Twin Vision Glass » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:30 am

My tests and pieces have shown that the less oxygen I believe that hits the silver, the more it will stay silvery as you desire. So placed in between layers is the best to keep it silver! just my thoughts. I work a lot with silver and have played with it in many different ways, so if I place on lower blank , then cap whole piece and play on top with different silver to gold and silver to bronze in layers then just place silver to fume on top of French Vanilla, you will get totally different looks all through the piece. I love experimenting with silver! endless possibilities!
Leslie Rowe-Israelson
Give out FREE hugs!
Twin Vision Glass

Postby elangtinian » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 am

Hi, After watching the video, I have a few questions about silver leaching into the kiln shelf. I saw in the video it said to designate a kiln shelf just for metals. I saw the video also said that kiln paper and kiln wash do not prevent leaching into the kiln shelf.
1. Would it work to put a ceramic bisque tile under the glass on the kiln shelf- then the silver would leach onto that and not onto the kiln shelf? (I also do pottery and make my own texture tiles for glass fusing)
2. Is the three times firing required to remove the leaching because a glass kiln doesn't get as hot as a ceramic kiln? If so, I am thinking I could just put my bisque tile into my ceramic kiln and make it hot- up to cone 05 when I am doing a bisque fire for my pottery, and the silver would be leached out. Since silver melts at 1763F, and cone 05 is 1915F.
3. Am I understanding correctly, that if I were to fuse with silver again using the "designated shelf- it could leach onto my new projects until the shelf was fused 3 times without any glass project on it to get out the leaching? (which is why I think making a stack of bisque tiles to use under my projects would work because then I could just take all the "used tiles" and fire them bisque again and get the silver out and then make more silver/glass projects.

Anyone have any thoughts/answers? I am sorry for my long questions I am thinking out-loud about this.
elangtinian

Postby marykaynitchie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am

1. Would it work to put a ceramic bisque tile under the glass on the kiln shelf- then the silver would leach onto that and not onto the kiln shelf? (I also do pottery and make my own texture tiles for glass fusing)

That might work. Would the shelf be the same size as your kiln shelf? If it is smaller, then silver fumes may drift onto the exposed area of the kiln shelf.
2. Is the three times firing required to remove the leaching because a glass kiln doesn't get as hot as a ceramic kiln? If so, I am thinking I could just put my bisque tile into my ceramic kiln and make it hot- up to cone 05 when I am doing a bisque fire for my pottery, and the silver would be leached out. Since silver melts at 1763F, and cone 05 is 1915F.

Time at process temperature might also be a variable. You would need to try this to confirm.
3. Am I understanding correctly, that if I were to fuse with silver again using the "designated shelf- it could leach onto my new projects until the shelf was fused 3 times without any glass project on it to get out the leaching? (which is why I think making a stack of bisque tiles to use under my projects would work because then I could just take all the "used tiles" and fire them bisque again and get the silver out and then make more silver/glass projects.

Yes, the silver can leach onto your subsequent projects.
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.

Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at
bit.ly/BullVideos
marykaynitchie

Previous

Return to Online Education