I’ve Been Sprung! | Bullseye Glass Co. | Bullseye Glass Co I’ve Been Sprung! | Bullseye Glass Co. | Bullseye Glass Co

I’ve Been Sprung!

OK, in my scheme to get out from under this blog, I snagged my first Guest Editor. Susan Green is our Sales Supervisor. I’d seen her own [wonderful] blog that included a bit about the hummingbird nest in the factory parking lot and figured she’d bite.

1susang_iconw.gif
Susan!!!! Hillary should be this small…and blow away!

I asked for 300 words. Susan gave me 426. Sales – always inflating their numbers ;-)

I asked for a picture of herself. She gave me a photo the size of an eraser head, no picture of the birds (now corrected!) and a bunch of über-cute images of baby kittens.

But she got me out from under this blog today. And I LOVE her for it! Seriously, thanks, girl!

Spring Has Sprung at the Factory
by Susan (1susang_iconw.gifPinhead ) Green

Spring in Portland comes early – shockingly early from an ex-Midwesterner’s point of view. I remember my first year in Portland back in 1994, I was walking to the bus stop and nearly fell over when I passed someone mowing their lawn – in February. I had never seen such a thing, coming from the Great Lakes state, where grass typically did not even get thought about until April or even May.

be_hummingbirdw.gif
Eat your heart out, Detroit!

2008 is no exception around here. It is 10 days into March, and the daffodils and crocuses are blooming, the fruit trees have tiny delicate blooms, and hummingbirds are mating and nesting out near the propane tank here at the factory. This tiny nest was spotted in one of the trees around the backside of the factory near the 12,000 gallon propane tank.

I don’t quite know what this Mom was thinking, as there is quite a bit of noise and activity right outside the maintenance bay, but she is hanging in there, and can be spotted sitting in her nest.

Richard Greiling, intrepid and stealthy maintenance employee, has fashioned a peeping tom mirrored device to check on the eggs when Mom flies away. Word on the street is that the tiny eggs have hatched, and we hope to have a couple of tiny hummingbirds zipping about in a few weeks.

2ryan-feedingw.gif

Warm & Fuzzy. The BE factory where Rough & Ready meets Cute & Cuddly.

Last year about this time we had a similar occurrence of animal husbandry at the factory, but then it was kittens. As a crew swept through an area we refer to as the “boneyard”, a tarp was pulled away from a pallet of stuff, and behind it all was a Mama cat and 4 or 5 kittens. The cute baby animal alert went through the factory like wildfire- “Kittens in the boneyard!” was the talk of the day, and within about 24 hours all of those tiny kittens were adopted out and have lovely new homes (as Mama ran away and did not come back).

Perhaps the Oregon Humane Society should try an adoption technique such as this- tiny animals found in industrial areas seem to be all the rage and will go like hot cakes. Or hot kittens.

3-fighting-for-the-bottlew.gif
Awwwwwwwwwww.

So as you may have heard, to relieve Lani of her impending carpal tunnel and blog upkeep guilt, I’ll be twisting arms around the factory so you can all meet some of the other folks that make things run around here. You may hear about glass-making- or not, we’ll just see where it takes us. Stay tuned!! – S.G.

[Susan, you're a dream - I owe you! - L.M.]

13 Responses to I’ve Been Sprung!

1. Gary Brown says:

Excellent!

So, Lani… did you get one of the kitties to replace the late lamented ed(tm) ?

2. lmcgregor says:

Nope. You gotta be FAST to get a kitten at BE. I was snoozin’.

3. chaniarts says:

we’ve had hummingbird nests as close as 6′ from our front door, and last year an enterprising dove made a nest and had 3 babies in the xmas wreath we left on our front door a bit too long.

4. Susan Green says:

Jeez Lani, you are quick! I did not get to finish my research! But I found out that the propane tank holds 12,000 gallons, FYI.

Pinhead??? You’ve obviously not seen any of the Hellraiser movies!

5. lmcgregor says:

Sorry, Susan. No way is that tank 12,000 gallons.

Sheesh. Salespeople.

6. Gary Brown says:

12,000 gallons when allowed to expand to STP?

GcB

PS. I don’t think she looks ANYTHING like zippy.

7. lmcgregor says:

OK. Apologies to Susan (and all the salespeople who got slagged by my overly broad brush!)

It turns out we have TWO hummingbird nests, each next to a different propane tank! Susan’s birds are out by the BIG tank.

I’m not touching the Xmas wreath dove count.

8. Megan Dunlap says:

As one of Susan’s best pals and former neighbor, I can tell you that we here in Deeetroit still have about 4″ of snow on the ground and not so much as a crocus or daffodil in sight! Sigh….how much longer until Spring “sprungs” here??? :-)

9. Gary Brown says:

Here in one-mile-from-downtown Saint Paul we can tell spring is on the way. All the junk that blew over the snow this winter is starting to melt out. The verge (how’s that for an anglophile, eh?) really shows that it’s on the path to the local school. Messy Little Wretches. In the backyard the sprinkler head (gee, should I have put that away last fall??) is poking its little head out of the snow.

10. Bert Weiss says:

Here in the forest in New Hampshire we’ve had the most snow since 1969. I have 5′ and 6′ huge piles of snow blocking doors to the house. The piles are so big because 4′ of snow had to be shoveled off of the roofs. The roads are crumbling. The thought of the meltdown is really scary.

The skiing is great. Come on up.

11. Hey, Susan! This oughta be fun! Now, I’m absolutely NOT an outdoors type (I famously tried to call for room service at girl scout camp). But I did remember to take the bird netting off all the blueberry bushes this winter, so I’m making progress. (Forgot last winter, and instead of bushels of blueberries I got about 5) Wish we’d had more snow here, but at least I can look forward to harvesting tons of blueberries. Hmmmmm…they should be ready not too long after GAS…

12. Congrats, Lani, for getting Susan to pinch hit for you….although I foresee a longer stint than just one or two times on her part.

Susan – can you do your famous eyecrossing/eye rolling trick on the blog……………? WE miss it!

13. Gary Brown says:

Hmmmm… all has gone Strangely Quiet. Hint. Hint. Hint.

GcB