Dear Dr. Sawfish,
Sorry your pieces have not been successful so far! We cannot provide useful advice without more information from you.
Please tell us:
1. Which specific glass styles you used
2. Kiln size
3. Where the elements are located in relationship to your piece
4. Whether the fiber blanket was on a shelf or on the floor of the kiln
5. What the shelf material is (if you used a shelf)
6. The complete firing cycle. Include the number of segments, and the rate, temperature and hold time for each segment.
7. Characteristics of the break. Straight or curvilinear? Sharp edges or soft edges?
After we know a little more about your project, members and techs will probably be able to help.
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.
Subscribe to Bullseye kiln-glass videos at