bullseyeglass.com • View topic - Converting Ceramic Kiln to Glass

Converting Ceramic Kiln to Glass

For discussion of processes related to using Bullseye glass, including kilnforming and kilncasting, torchwork, blowing and stained glass.

Converting Ceramic Kiln to Glass

Postby rebekahbirkan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:09 am

Hello All,

I work for an artist who would like to use his Skutt KM ceramic kiln to do glass kiln casting. Skutt has said this is possible and the kiln will reach the correct temperatures however I have a few questions -

We have a lot of kiln shelves that we have fired ceramics on. I do not know if these are mullite shelves - is there a way to tell? Also, if they are not fully mullite will they break at high temperatures?

Also what type of sand is used to put on the mould shelves to level moulds? I've never purchased it myself and I'm not sure exactly what it is or where you can buy it in NYC.

Thanks for the help!

Rebekah
rebekahbirkan

Re: Converting Ceramic Kiln to Glass

Postby mattt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Rebekah.

You won't have a problem with the temperature in this kiln, as glass fuses at a lower temperature than that used to fire ceramics. The main issue that you might have is the ability to anneal your glass properly with the existing comtroller.

Many pottery kiln controllers will allow you to hold at a set temperature on the way up to your top temperature, but not on the way back down. For glass fusing you need to be able to do both, so you might potentially need to invest in a new controller.

Pottery shelves also tend to be thicker than glass fusing shelves, but this needn't be a problem- I use a pottery shelf in my kiln most of the time. So long as the shelves haven't been contaminated (e.g. with silver, selenium or lead) by pottery glazes, you should be OK. If you find your glass discolouring on firing, you might need to buy a new shelf, but compared to the cost of a new kiln, it won't break the bank.

Re. levelling moulds, it's more important to level the kiln in the first place. Otherwise anything that you full fuse will come out thicker where the shelf is lower, and thinner at the top!
mattt

Re: Converting Ceramic Kiln to Glass

Postby Lschnellinger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:41 pm

I’ve been told by two different instructors that you shouldn’t buy a ceramics kiln for glass IF it has been used to glaze ceramics. It was about the off-gassing of the glazes affecting the kiln in such a way that could contaminate the glass.

I can find nothing about this online. In fact I found literature from Skutt, Paragon and Spectrum saying it was perfectly fine to fire glass in a ceramics kiln.

Is this some kind of urban myth? Can I go ahead and glaze my ceramics in my glass kiln and then continue to use it for fusing glass?

Appreciate any help with this.
Lschnellinger

Return to Technique