What molds are used for kilncasting? | Bullseye

What molds are used for kilncasting?

molds can either be open or closed depending on the type of imagery you wish to create

Molds for kilncasting fall into two broad categories: open-faced or closed/semi-closed.

In open-faced molds, one side of the mold is completely open; the cold glass is placed directly into the mold through that opening. Using open-faced molds, you can create reverse-relief, bas-relief, pâte de verre, thick-block, and box castings.

You can use Bullseye slumping molds for open-faced kilncasting. 

In molds that are closed/semi-closed, the mold is open only wide enough to allow the glass to flow in from the outside, often through a reservoir. Using closed/semi-closed molds, you can make fully sculptural pieces.

Related Questions

What form of glass should I use for kilncasting?
What firing schedule should I use for casting?
How do I prevent suckers?
How do I precent sharp edges in castings?

Helpful Resources

Tips for Using Bullseye Slumping Molds
Video lesson: Open-Faced Kilncasting
Video lesson: Box Casting
TipSheet 8: Lost Wax Kilncasting


Return to Index of FAQs