Zyp Boron Nitride Aerosol Lubricoat (008714) is a separator that can be applied to ceramic casting molds as a release between mold and glass. It can be very effective and easy to use—win win!
General Directions for Using Zyp on a Ceramic Casting Mold
- Start with a dry, clean mold, free of any primer.
- Spray two coats of ZYP following the notes below, allowing about 5 minutes between coats.
- Allow it to dry for 15–20 minutes.
- Load glass into the mold gently so as not to disturb the thin, delicate coating.If the separator is scraped away, your piece may stick to the mold. Smaller grain sizes of frit are commonly used in ceramic casting molds and are relatively easy to load. Larger grain sizes of frit, bits of sheet glass, and cut billets are more prone to result in a texture or mark in the finished casting. Then fire your project.
- After firing, remove your casting, then buff/remove used ZYP primer from the mold with a dry, stiff-bristle nylon brush. The surface will develop a slight sheen and some of the ZYP will stay on the mold. Brush and tap out the excess.
- Apply a single coat of ZYP and allow it to dry.
Download the article for information on spray application, cleaning the casting, trouble shooting and more product information.