Create a textured block of glass using ceramic fiber paper, a billet, and the right amount of heat!
Design with Texture
In the kiln, the billet conforms to your fiber paper design. Note that the glass will take on the texture of the fiber paper and the kiln shelf.
Any billet will work, even Curious billets. Lighter saturation styles are a good choice to display with the smooth side facing out.
- Plan a design based on the billet dimensions, approximately 10˝ × 5˝ × 0.75˝ (127 × 254 × 19 mm)
- To make this design, we started with an image on paper and cut it out to make a stencil.
- Trace the design onto 1/8˝ Fiber Paper (007036) and cut it out using an X-Acto knife. For a raised design, oversize the fiber paper by 0.5˝ on each side to keep the billet from flowing over the edge.
- Arrange the fiber paper on a primed kilnshelf. Clean the billet and load it on the fiber paper. See the firing schedule in the full article.
- Be sure to wear respiratory protection as you peel away the fiber paper. Remove any residue with a scrub pad or nylon brush and water.